Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Prickly pear syrup

i simmered this down with sugar and a little lemon juice. i like that BBQ sauce idea. i want to make more, this was kinda a test batch to see how it tasted and i love it.

How many pears did it take to make that size cup in your pic? Do you run the pears in a juicer?

I probably had 3lbs of over ripe pears. I boiled them, then I mashed them, then I strained it. That left me with 2.5 cups juice, then simmered it with equal amount of sugar. It was super clear I couldn't even see any pulp in it.

I thought I'd have thorns all over heck but it wasn't that bad.

Nice man I'm gonna have to try that! I usually pick up pears for my tortoise when I'm out in the desert. Looks like I'll have to stock up some more for me now. Thanks for the info.

The mother in law makes jam and syrup for me. Just remember you are probably not going to like store bought syrup anymore so make enough to last a year!!

If you don't want to take time to burn the spines off, you can try our method which is rolling them around on your driveway with a rake and rinsing them off and swirling them with water in a 5 gallon bucket. Works well. here is a document that I have posted before on how to pick and juice the pears. My husband teaches classes on how to juice them at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Superior.

post-1-0-54099300-1475100462_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I take a little propane torch with me and burn all the thorns off before I pick them

my fear with this is someone would think i,m tryin to start a fire and turn me in

Haha you could really scare them and light a cholla!

Hahaha. This happened when I was a kid and we brought juniper from home for the first night. It's actually epic. Then my uncle told me it just made more cholla, so I felt bad.