Sign in to follow this  
Tres

Quail season

Thanks I will need it so I don't go crazy because I am stuck at work and can't chase quail lol

SO HAS ANYONE BEEN OUT LATELY?? This forum is dead, I know some of you have to have been out... especially with the cooler weather within the last couple weeks.

Last I was out was Nov 2nd on the back side of the catalinas surveying the cover more than anything. The shorthair's shoulder was bothering him so I didn't even pull out the shotgun but saw great habitat and quite a few birds along the two-tracks.

I don't have any recent reports due to being out state for work, however I'll be in New Mexico this weekend looking to bomb on some scalies, weather should be great!

Heading out east of the valley on Saturday morning. I've been out once this year and scratched out 3 birds, then was out of town. So, really looking forward to getting out there for a while.

• Like 1

Yeah I got out with a few people and dogs on Friday. Had a nice hunt.

• Like 1

Have been out several times (Mainly during October while scouting for my deer hunt....). Seeing plenty of Gambels in the usual spots! ;)

S.

• Like 1

Hunted an area in New Mexico where there were loads of scaled quail last year. This year we saw maybe about 10% of the numbers. We were able to scratch 15 birds between two of us on Sat and another 6 birds in 3 hours on Sunday.

Friend is speculating that the heavy, flooding rains they experienced in September drowned/killed a lot of chicks. Of the birds we bagged, only 4 or so were YOY and they were extremely small and didn't have adult feathers yet.

• Like 1

Between deer hunting and other activities we have not seen that many quail in the Kingman area. We did find a few coveys yesterday and knocked off 12 birds. No young birds tho they were all big adult birds.

• Like 1

I've been out about a dozen times so far and what I've seen in most places is it's about like last year.(1 covey an hour). Some places are better and some are worse. As warm as it has been the birds have been close to water or in cool raveens. Mearns season opens up next Friday. I will be out for the opener. I'm thinking Mearns will be better than our desert quail.

• Like 1

I've ran into roughly 100 mearns out scouting fir deer. I'll be bringing my shotgun on my deer hunt. Jumped a bunch of scalies but wasn't hunting them. The gambels and scrambels are thick around the house this year.

• Like 2

I've ran into roughly 100 mearns out scouting fir deer. I'll be bringing my shotgun on my deer hunt. Jumped a bunch of scalies but wasn't hunting them. The gambels and scrambels are thick around the house this year.

Awesome, sounds like you've stumbled onto a good mearns spot! Scramble's?!?! I'll be standing by for an invite :)

Awesome, sounds like you've stumbled onto a good mearns spot! Scramble's?!?! I'll be standing by for an invite :)

stumbled is right! Wasn't expecting or looking for them. The scrambles have been my backyard buddies for a few years now, I actually didn't know what the heck they were til I asked on here. Same couple of breeding pairs produces regularly every year although I think the offspring are sterile?

A breeding pair meaning a gamble's and a scaled quail producing the scrambles, or are you saying you've got a male and a female scramble that breed together and have offspring? If the F1 scramble is able to breed, then I would imagine the F2s would be able to as well.

It's a gamble and scaled breeding pair and there's atleast 2 pairs that I've seen. I haven't seen their offspring (scrambles) pair up and breed.

Dude scrambles are on my must have list. I need to bag just 1