Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Hiking/shooting stick?

Does anyone know of a tall heavy duty hiking pole that could also double as a standing shooting rest? I want something I can use to stabilize a rifle while I shoot standing but is also good hiking pole.

I don't need an actual rifle rest, just something tall to rest my haND on so I can put the rifle on my wrist. Basically an ogre size hiking pole. I'm 6'4" tall and 300lbs so it needs to be tough.

Anyone have any ideas?

I remember guys in the 80's used to make their own "Moses Sticks". This was before the Primos shooting sticks and trekking poles were around.

• Like 1

saguaro rib, sanded down and dump a little lemon oil in a can and stand the stick in it, it will wick the oil right up, swap ends every now and then, the more oil you use the heavier it gets

• Like 1

Just bought the latest model primos trigger stick bipod for my father- for the same reasons. He had tried it out at sportsmanship and asked that I order it with my amazon account. I was against it because I had handled them before however, I was impressed by how much metal is on these. The latest ones are actually heavy duty and even more so in the bi-pod model. My father is doing limited hiking unlike yourself it sounds but I would suggest you go in store and try handling the bipod model. It's working for dad plus it has the shooting rest and we locked it into position for his shooting height. Something to consider.

If you want to go traditional find a peice of iron wood, notch the top, sand, finish and leather bind where you'll be holding it and your done.

Just bought the latest model primos trigger stick bipod for my father- for the same reasons. He had tried it out at sportsmanship and asked that I order it with my amazon account. I was against it because I had handled them before however, I was impressed by how much metal is on these. The latest ones are actually heavy duty and even more so in the bi-pod model. My father is doing limited hiking unlike yourself it sounds but I would suggest you go in store and try handling the bipod model. It's working for dad plus it has the shooting rest and we locked it into position for his shooting height. Something to consider.

If you want to go traditional find a peice of iron wood, notch the top, sand, finish and leather bind where you'll be holding it and your done.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos-reg-Gen-Trigger-Sticks/1615720.uts?productVariantId=3498453&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03689369&rid=20&gclid=CPDEzveuwc8CFYF9fgodRPMJMg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have used a tall Stoney Point adjustable bipod for several years. It compresses down to around 20" to use while sitting, and expands to standing height. I use it as a walking stick and is ready to deploy in seconds if needed. It is very light weight, as it is made of aluminum. The leg adjustments are the twist-lock type. I have not had it collapse on my weight yet...but I'm only 170 lbs.

I also use a homemade "Moses" pole, as mentioned above. I make them from yucca stalks. Find a nice straight one and cut it to the right height to rest your binos on top for glassing on the go. I get fancy with mine, wrapping with fringed leather and such. You do need to wrap them, or wear gloves, or you will get splinters. You could screw in a wrapped screw for a shooting rest I suppose, or use the wrist idea you mention. Personally, I prefer the shooting stability of a bipod over a monopod. I mainly use the "Moses" pole for scouting/hiking.

Similar to this Primos. Couldn't find Stoney Point.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos-reg-Pole-Cat-Shooting-Sticks/1615721.uts?productVariantId=3503661&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03689771&rid=20&gclid=CNO9qsXBwc8CFU1cfgodONUEYw&gclsrc=aw.ds

We've uses dead century plant and made our own. Super light and strong. We drill out a home on top of them and epoxy a V rest into it.

• Like 2

That is a good idea too. I have been thinking about making my own Moses stick as I just don't think the Primos stuff is up to real use as a trekking/walking pole. I have looked at that stuff already. I am not paying $190 for a metal stick from the outdoorsman either. I would go to a metal yard and figure out how to fab my own before I paid that kind of money for 1.

• Like 1

Century plant is the best thing on the planet. Super light, super super strong.

...and if you have to drop it for the final stalk, then can't find it later...no big deal.