Sign in to follow this  
creed

rv solar panels

My new 5th wheel came with one mounted on roof. Batteries are 100% all the time. Pretty awesome!

• Like 1

My toy hauler came with a Zamp Solar 20 watt solar kit to maintain the batteries. The panel is mounted on top of the air conditioner on the roof and the controller is mounted inside the trailer. Two wires from solar panel to controller and two wires from controller to batteries/ground. Very simple system and works great.

• Like 1

I have the cheap harbor freight kit with the three panels. It works fine, but if I had to do it again I would spend a little more money and get a better quality single panel. The kit works perfectly, but is of course low quality. Have had it for 3 years and is still charging just fine. Whatever you do, get a quality controller. Do not use the cheap ones.

How do you tell the difference between a junk controller and one that is quality?

as far as I know you don't unless you buy a brand that's well known and has no bad reviews. Almost everything solar you buy has issues or bad reviews m. Doesn't mean it's bad (even if it harbor freight) it just means the solar industry I'd still working out the details of it all. Solar is frieking awesome!!!!!! When it works.
  • Like 1

How do you tell the difference between a junk controller and one that is quality?

As was said above, get something with a good reputation. It doesn't have to be big and fancy, but get something that will at minimum protect from over charging. I used the harbor freight for a while and it nuked my battery. I replaced it with a small and simple pwm type and it is much better.

also be sure you plan for the future and get something that can handle any expansion you might plan

The other thing you might want to consider is getting rid of the 12 volt batteries and run two deep cycle 6 volts in series with a solar panel. Even without a solar panel two 6 volts in series are better than 2 12 volts in parallel.

• Like 1

RV solar electric, they are in Scottsdale, I bought my first system from them 20 years ago. I had a panel for 9 years and it went bad, they replaced it for free. They are a little more expensive but only sell quality items and tech and customer support is outstanding.

I have had this one for about 35 years! Time has definitely expanded the square inches exposed which means that it requires daily attention to keep it out of direct and indirect sunshine!

No special controller needed usually a damp wash rag keeps it maintained!

It has been known to overheat but other than that it can hold its own even with the newer models!!!

post-2034-0-48235800-1477076031_thumb.jpg

• Like 1