Sign in to follow this  
Gunit

What do you think about having a 3 point minimum for Mule Deer?

Gunit- what states? also, you do not say what unit you were hunting. if you want to see big bucks hunt a unit that has them. choose a hunt during a time of the year when you are more likely to see them. the game and fish dept weighs and measure deer over time in Kaibab. a yearling buck that dresses out 83 pounds, and has a 4"inch spike horn on one side will never become a big buck; a yearling buck that dresses out 123 pounds, and has 5 points on one side and 4points on the other and a 23" spread will has great potential and will always be bigger than ANY spike.

a yearling buck that dresses out 123 pounds, and has 5 points on one side and 4points on the other and a 23" spread will has great potential and will always be bigger than ANY spike.

a yearling 4x5? i didnt know that was even possible. learn something new everyday.

• Like 1

a yearling buck that dresses out 123 pounds, and has 5 points on one side and 4points on the other and a 23" spread will has great potential and will always be bigger than ANY spike.

a yearling 4x5? i didnt know that was even possible. learn something new everyday.

Ive never heard of that either, but I guess anything's possible. I was always under the impression that if a yearling sported forks he as off to a real strong start.

Unless of course we're talking GMO texas game ranch deer, then a yearling could go 200".

Edge I saw 1 of your muley fawns on news and g&f looking for you bud... ;)

That figures, the deer were in NM lol.
  • Like 1

More restrictions?? Worry about yourself! Impose a 3 point rule on yourself and follow that, you don't need to worry about anyone else. We don't need more rules and laws.

I just want to provide the best meat for my family possible, and if that means I take a spike, then so be it. SMH

Ive never heard of that either

yeah i dont believe it.

• Like 1

Yearling deer are actually 1 1/2 years old, i.e. in their 2nd year. All first year deer are considered fawns. So it's quite possible one might grow a 4X5 rack, espesically if there's plenty of nutrional food available. In poor years, however, a yearling might be a spike or just a 2x2.

i see, so it could be his second rack? what was his first rack, im guessing it was a spike set right? can someone post a 4x5 1.5 year old muley with a 23" wide rack? i cant find any references except high fence whitetails

It would be his first real "rack" other than what he would have sported as a fawn -- likely buttons or short spikes.

the poster above said that spike bucks cant grow into big bucks though?

It would be his first real "rack" other than what he would have sported as a fawn -- likely buttons or short spikes.

the poster above said that spike bucks cant grow into big bucks though?

Not true at all, especially if the spike is a FAWN as I said above. That said, even a buck that had been a 4x4 one year could be a spike the next under very poor range conditions.

Way back in 1960, I killed a buck in Colorado that had a huge body but he sported spikes that were about 12-14 inches long. It was on private land and the owner knew the deer because of a unique white circle of hair on one hip. He told me that deer had been a nice wide 3x3 the previous year. I didn't have him aged but the farmer said he thought the buck was about three or four years old when I killed him. In other words, he regressed the other way.

BUT...spikes can indeed grow into decent bucks. It all depends on the reason it is a spike, especially as a yearling. If the food conditions are poor that year, most of the protein, calcum, etc... will be utilized for body growth more than antler growth. And then it might completely change the next year with improvement in the food sources, which is usually associated with good rainfall. And yes, SOMETIMES, genes also play a part but not as often as some folks think. The ol' saw that advises killing all the spikes because they will never grow bigger antlers and will pass on poor genes has been debunked plenty with captive deer.

Every wonder why 'vegan' and 'vagina' sound so much alike? In many languages they actually mean the exact same thing. Juuuuust sayin.... :rolleyes:

Suddenly I understand my liberal sister..

• Like 4