Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

Inherited a rifle

Visited my uncle and went through his pawn shop. He showed me a bunch of rifles he has collected. There were a bunch of old Winchesters and military rifles. He showed me a Winchester 1892 in 25-20 that he said he was going to leave me in his will. I love old Winchesters, but I told him I hoped I didnt get it for another 20 years. My wife and I looked at lots of stuff for a couple of hours, then as we were getting ready to leave he called me over and said,"Many things I have been told I was going to inherit, somehow have been lost in the shuffle after the person passed on, so my wife told me to give the person the item I was planning on leaving them while I am still living. So here is your inheritance." It floored me. He gave me a box of 50 primed brass and bullets and the dies too. Im so excited to put in for javalina rifle. I have a HAM hunt this spring, so I will have to wait. I might plan a coyote trip and use it. Such a fun caliber.post-3516-0-66880200-1479100146_thumb.jpgpost-3516-0-40178200-1479100395_thumb.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Very cool. I've got a model 53 in 25-20 that I inherited from my grandpa. I've always wanted to kill something with it. Javelina will be perfect for it!!

The 25/20 really shines when you reload for it. Factory loads are usually under loaded. It's a fun little cartridge. Enjoy!

• Like 1

My favorite load for my 1892 25/20 is 11g of Lil-Gun with Speer 75g flat point. I use Rem brass with Fed 205 match primers for 1980fps. Seat the bullet to the cannalure and start at 10g and proceed in .2 increments. Your rifle may not be able to handle this load, so caution is advised.

• Like 1

So far I have acquired 250rds of factory Remington 25-20 wcf ammo. I got my powder yesterday at Sportsmans Warehouse, my bullets ordered from Brownells and am on the hunt for Federal Small Rifle Match primers m205. I have my magneto speed I'm hoping to get out and shoot it and get some info with factory then start loading some to develop a hunting load.

nice gun, I've got a Trapper's Model 92 in 25-20, my Dad and I found it in an abandoned cabin on the Wind River Reservation in the mid 60's, had a mud dabbers nest down the barrel. I cleaned and shot it way back when, bore is is bad shape, can tell it had a lot of black powder rounds shot through it and wasn't cleaned very well. Only issue with mine is the magazine tube is not stock, it's off a different rifle as it extends a couple inches past the end of the barrel and has different blueing, we guessed a horse fell with it or somehow the original tube was bent and a hillbilly fix was done.

• Like 1

I shot the 25-20 this morning. I bought 5 boxes of remington from cabelas. I was shooting at my Mr Target ar500 target with a hostage flipper. At 100 yards I ht it several times, however it wouldn't flip the plate. My uncle told me it was a shooter, he wasn't lying. I had a blast shooting it. I took some friends out and let them shoot my m16, mp5, lmt308, and a bunch more suppressed rifles and pistols. They thought my Winchester looked cool but they went for the NFA stuff. I stuck with the 25-20. Only thing missing was my magneto speed. I forgot it along with my shooting mat when I loaded my truck last night. I guess I need to take it out again. What torture. The m16 is by my friend's dad's 410 and marlin 357.

post-3516-0-35782500-1480207986_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-01847200-1480208001_thumb.jpg

• Like 5