Redbeard

Redbeard's 2007 bull

Here are a couple pictures of my 2007 "limited opportunity" archery hunt bull. It was definitely very limited opportunity. This was the ONLY bull I saw in over 30 days of scouting. I did see two other bulls during the week of hunting and missed a shot at one of them. They were not bugling and had no cows. In fact the only cows (2) I saw were with this bull the morning I shot him.

One evening about two weeks before the season opened I went to scout this area with my 9 year old daughter Zoe and called this bull in to 20 yards. We got a couple of minutes of video of him and after watching it 100 times I was hooked on trying to kill this bull. It was NOT a great spot for elk but once I knew this bull was there I kept going back. My main goal was not to have to deal with other hunters like I did last year in unit 8. I always say I'd rather hunt an area with fewer elk if it means fewer hunters. In pursuit of that goal I left no stone unturned. The only other hunter I saw during the hunt was a guy with a cow tag who just happened to randomly pick this spot on the map.

It took a week of hard hunting but I finally caught up with my bull 6:30 Friday morning. I called him across a little valley and he came right to me just like in the movies. I kinda blew the 30 yard shot by not accounting for him walking. Hit him too far back so I left him all day to be sure he was down. Turns out he went half a mile and piled up probably 10 minutes after I shot him. Go figure. Last year I made a perfect shot and the bull made it about 10 hours.

I started skinning and packing at 7 pm and since I was by myself and had to pack him off a small mountain (Six trips including the head and meat)I didn't get done until 12:30am. The butcher weighed in just under 400 pounds of meat!

Sorry the pictures aren't great. It was tough to get good pictures by myself without a tripod and in a nasty juniper thicket.

I can't get this thing to upload the pictures so I'll try a link.

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2007bull3xm1.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2007bull11tg4.jpg

I'll let you guess the score.

Chris

Chris,

Sounds like a completely different hunt than last year. Fewer critters, both two and four legged. Way to finally git er dunn. Guessing 335.

Doug~RR

Congrats Chris! Great bull its hard to tell by the pictures but my guess is in the 335-340 range??

Doug, didnt you guess 328 already!?!?! no changing answer! especially when it is exactly what i was gonna gues!!!

very nice bull, i would have stuck him if i had a archer tag in any unit!

WoW! What a stud bull for the tag you had!! Huge congrats to you on a great bull! My first impression on score is 342 5/8" ;) JIM>

That's a great bull! Sounds like a tough hunt but you managed to put a big one down. I think he's in the 360's...

Hey chris great job. I will be sure to let all the guys know you can bring the steaks for the next big AZO or bill southern outing. HAHA