Sign in to follow this  
northAZarcher

Who says size matters? A true buck of a lifetime!!!

Yeah, he stood out. Could see him at 1000 yard away without binos. After they skinned him out, they laid the hide down on the ground and it was near identical on both sides of his body!

My Yankee cousin sent me pics of a similar looking WT deer in PA.

If the color mutation affects deer like it does horses, dogs; etc, the mutation can be more than skin deep.

The pattern looks a lot like the Frame Overo gene. One copy of the gene can cause the animal to crop out in the white 50% of the time. So an animal can have the mutant gene and look normal too or splashed with white. The gene can also cause deafness or if both copies of the gene are passed on, a lethal condition in the intestines causes death within days of birth.

I'm certain there are biologists out there that would like some of that deer's DNA.

Congrats to the hunter super cool buck. I bet he stood out on the hill side like a sore thumb.

there are pics on FB of it on the hoof prior to the shot. It stood out..

I do believe they call that a Piebald deer. Have seen many in Wisconsin, but never a Couse.

Saw a yearling coues yesterday with a softball sized white patch right over his lower chest. Don't know if it's low white pied, injury or what. There are supposedly a few resident albino doe in the area but albino and piebald are different mutations so I don't know what he has going on. Could be a marker for sheep though as he seemed intent to climb and hop on top of every possible rock pile in the area. Pretty darn cute.

That is very cool!

That's the first Coues I have seen like that but I did see a Muley Doe a few years ago that was pretty close to that. I am lucky enough to have seen an all white Coues Buck while hunting with a buddy many, many years ago but it was probably 1000 yards away. The locals knew of it but as far as I know it was never taken and may have been the same white deer that G&F had a picture of in their office on the wall that was with a bunch of Doe's but that one didn't have antlers but it could have already shed them.

Maybe he can work something out with the taxi.