Sign in to follow this  
Whitesheep

REI and Free Victim Zones

The start of a conversation with REI about their new free victim zone at the Paradise Valley store. I'll keep the forum posted....

logo_capture_from_web_site.jpg

As I was heading into the Phoenix Store at Paradise Valley Mall to do a little...
Hello Marc,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding our 'No Weapons Allowed' sign.

We are sorry to hear that you were upset by the new signage at our Phoenix store, and we are happy to pass along your feedback and comments to the appropriate department.

Have a great day!

Karen
REI Membership Services

www.rei.com / www.rei-outlet.com
PO Box 1938, Sumner, WA 98390-0800
Phone: 800-426-4840
Fax: 253-891-2648
Click Here To Email REI.
http://www.rei.com/help/feedback/feedback.html#_4

As I was heading into the Phoenix Store at Paradise Valley Mall to do a little Christmas shopping I was confronted with a new "No Weapons Allowed" sign. I promptly turned around and left the store and did my shopping elsewhere. I don't feel safe spending time in free victim zones which is what "gun free zones" actually are. Only law abiding citizens obey such signs. Those with criminal intent by definition don't follow laws. Who are you really protecting?

The peer pressure to post such signs from people with good intentions is high I am sure. I do respect a request that those who do carry, do so concealed so as not to alarm shoppers who may not have a good grasp of rights or are hopliphobic. You should note, however, that concealed carry citizens have the lowest rate of crime, even less than police officers. Honestly you, your staff and your other members/customers should feel safer knowing someone might be in your store ready to defend the helpless. Sadly, if you ever need such an upstanding citizen, they will not be available because of your worthless sign. Recall that the Aurora movie killer bypassed several other theaters because the didn't have a no weapons allowed sign. Think about it.

As a member/owner I request you think deeply about the danger you are putting your member/customers in with your cardboard sign. Remove it and we will all be safer.

Thank you ,

Marc Cooley
Phoenix AZ

• Like 12

I had not heard that about the Aurora shooter. Has that been publicly stated with any credibility? I wondered how he was able to kill that many people without return fire. Myself, I carry concealed regardless of any sign I see. Even at church.

• Like 6

Guest oneshot

Thanks for sharing this WhiteSheep...

I open carry where/when I want,refusing to be victim and while most of the death-threats I've recieved are from Chitholeistan, some have been made by **people** in the USA, only if someone points-out some 'gun-free" zone sign will I turn around and leave...

People have said I look like a cop, whatever that means... hahaha...

I had not heard that about the Aurora shooter. Has that been publicly stated with any credibility?

Hi CatfishKev,

Yes, it has been stated publicly that the Aurora shooter passed other more rights friendly theaters that were closer to his home. Here is a quote to a Fox News article with the link to the whole article at the end:

So why did the killer pick the Cinemark theater? You might think that it was the one closest to the killer’s apartment. Or, that it was the one with the largest audience.

Yet, neither explanation is right. Instead, out of all the movie theaters within 20 minutes of his apartment showing the new Batman movie that night, it was the only one where guns were banned. In Colorado, individuals with permits can carry concealed handgun in most malls, stores, movie theaters, and restaurants. But private businesses can determine whether permit holders can carry guns on their private property.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/10/did-colorado-shooter-single-out-cinemark-theater.html

Choose the venues you patronize with care

Love it! Sadly you will not get a response because there no sensible response for it.

On another note, wouldn't entering a private business with a sign posted like that only be breaking the business's rules and not the law. That's the impression I've always been under and in fact was told that in my first CCW class. Of course that was 20 yrs ago. Exception of course would be a place that serves alcohol and has it posted or other places where you cannot legally carry.

Love it! Sadly you will not get a response because there no sensible response for it.

On another note, wouldn't entering a private business with a sign posted like that only be breaking the business's rules and not the law. That's the impression I've always been under and in fact was told that in my first CCW class. Of course that was 20 yrs ago. Exception of course would be a place that serves alcohol and has it posted or other places where you cannot legally carry.

Thanks for the link whitesheep.

This is what I always assumed, and why I have no problem ignoring the signs.

Your first problem is youre shopping at REI, make sure you get your patchouli oil

I use vicks vapor rub to cover up the smell of hippie.

If I were a crook I would rob the place.

The Tempe store was broken into after hours and they lost some high dollar stuff a couple of months ago. Monitoring company never caught it until hours later. Probably ADT (Always Done Twice).

Don't print. They'll never know.

• Like 2

Depends on the state you are in. Here in NM if you CCW into a store that is posted you do break a state law.

Actually if the sign is of the proper type here in AZ ignoring it is breaking the law. Remember the store, in Vermont I believe, where a CC who was shopping ignored a similar sign, stopped a shooter intent on mass murder before he could do any real damage, but is being prosecuted by the store owners for breaking the law. Something about being tried by 12 vs. carried by 6 still fits.

• Like 3