PatrickJr

Comeback Buck

This May, my dad suffered a stroke and spent 30 days in the hospital. He was released and had no idea if he'd ever be able to drive again. We were very unsure of his physical capabilities heading into the hunt and i wanted to play it safe. He drew the thanksgiving hunt which luckily was a 10 day hunt. We only could hunt saturday morning for the first weekend and had a narrow oppurtunity at a good buck that was around 90". We knew hunting pressure would drop off for the second weekend. I had a particular canyon picked out and it required little walking, plus if we found something in the canyon then we most likely could shoot from the glassing spot.

Got out on the second saturday and hit the same spot and familt friend John came along. Naturally i found a buck that we couldnt shoot from the glassing spot. i watched the buck bed in a perfect spot so I asked my dad how he felt and he said he was willing to hike so he could shoot this buck. Found a nice trail and it took us to 321 yards from the bedded, got set up and within 30 seconds of being fully set up, the buck stood and my dad put him down just 5 yards from his bed. Killshot on video too

Couldnt have been prouder of my dad, he pushed through and didnt let the stroke or some hills stop him from being successful. Probably one of my favorite hunts of all time.

post-12189-0-05876000-1481771980_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-09920300-1481772018_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-90551900-1481772040_thumb.jpg

• Like 23

Huge congrats to your dad and you for being able to spend that quality time with dad. I remember on my last scouting trip with my dad, he had a stroke while we were out in the middle of nowhere and I was somehow able to rush him back to Tucson and convinced him to go to the hospital. It affected his walking abilities but was still at camp and walking the hills in a walker when the hunt rolled around. I managed to tag out that year and was my dads final hunt. He passed a few months later and I look back and cherish being able to spend that quality time with him.

• Like 4

Congrats to both of you! That is a great buck and your Pops worked hard for it!

Cherish you hunting time with him! My Dad hasn't hunted for the last 3 seasons and it just isn't the same without him!

• Like 1

Great story right there. Huge congratulations to you and your pops!

• Like 1