guys, 2 questions for you all. I've been watching this buck for the last 3 months. go figure! I had no tag this year, it's been tough.

1st what does he score.

2nd My son has his 1st deer tag this year, he's 10, would you let him take this buck for his 1st deer hunt?

:blink: :blink: :blink: :o :o :o <_< <_< :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

or wait tell jan,

post-519-1191793116_thumb.jpg

post-519-1191793067_thumb.jpg

post-519-1191793018_thumb.jpg

Dang Mike,

You have yourself in a tough spot there. :blink:

If your son shots that buck on his first hunt he will have a real hard time ever topping it

If you save him for January than you might feel bad for not putting the boy on it :(

I only see one way to take care of this problem you have gotten yourself into :unsure:

Put Me on the Deer and I will shoot him in December :D

If you don't like that idea, my oldest Daughter has an October tag and she could get him ;)

Glad I could be of help :P

Mike

what a flippin toad. compared to a dear my dad shot that scored 107, I'd say this buck will go about that but probably more because he's got a lot more tine length, maybe in the 110 range (and those are conservative guesses because I always seem to get big buck fever when I'm guessing scores and guess to high). Question number two: Well I think you might be worried to let him shoot this buck because you might ruin his concept of hunting. Maybe your thinking that he'll shoot that one for his first deer and probably never have the opportuninty to shoot one like it. BUT, I think it will have the opposite effect. DUDE HE WILL BE HOOKED FOR LIFE! I shot a spike when I was 11, which you can't really compare to the buck that you've got pictures of, but from that hunt on I have been addicted to hunting like obiese people are addicted to choclate. I think if he shoots this one it will even compound that one. Dude give him a shot man, think... if he puts that one down you're gonna be the proudest dad ever. And likewise, if he kills it he'll be addicted to hunting forever, and if he doesn't he'll still be addicted to hunting forever. If he doesn't , you two are still gonna have a blast, and you'll still be the proudest dad ever. And hey, you still have to catch him in the day time, you still have to get close, and he still has to make a lethal shot so honestly your chances of getting a chance at him in january is pretty good. But it's your call man...just my opinion

well. gamehauler, let's just say this buck is way south of ya and has a # 3 as part of the unit not sure if she has that unit. :unsure: these are a few night pictures. I did not show day pictures do to the area he is in <_< . thanks for the imput.mike

well. gamehauler, let's just say this buck is way south of ya and has a # 3 as part of the unit not sure if she has that unit. :unsure: these are a few night pictures. I did not show day pictures do to the area he is in <_< . thanks for the imput.mike

Dang Mike,

Try to help a Bud out and get my head chewed off :P

You know I was just messing with ya.

I don't think I said what unit she has :unsure:

I would put the Boy on him and make sure he knows it is his hunt.

If another buck comes in and he says he likes it, let him take it.

It's all about the kids and I know your heart is in it.

If I can be of any help to you and the boy let me know,

even if I have to go south to 3 something or was that something 3 :P

GET EM,

Mike

Give an attempt for your son to get him. If he does tag a buck like that he will be hooked for life. But that other 3 point would also be a great first buck and he would still be hooked.

IMO, I would take your boy into the area and give it a shot. Like has been mentioned before, you have to catch that big boy out in the daytime. That's could be a struggle to do anyways. That deer didn't get that big by being stupid and chances are, you may not be able to find him during the daytime anyways.

But, if you did get the chance to have your son take him, and then have him pass on it, you would have to be prepared to possibly never see that buck again in your lifetime and kick yourself later for not taking the opportunity when you had the chance. He may get shot, lion killed or some other bizarre occurance. To me, I would rather have my son have a chance at a monster buck like that if the chance presented itself. If he did shoot it, at least you were part of the hunt and he would always have that memory of you being with him and vice versa (you'd also be the worlds best guide ever and best dad ever too!)

As far as the future and having him being spoiled with taking big bucks, I say "whatever". Hunting in this state is going to get harder and harder in the upcoming years. I don't think the opportunity to take a quality buck like this will be as great in the future, so, why not take advantage when you can? I honestly doubt that you would regret seeing your boy shoot this buck if the chance presents itself.

Hope you get him!

BTW, that is a PIG of a buck. I'd say he is in the 120 class range as well. He's absolutely huge and one buck I would love to see in the hills!!

IMO, I would take your boy into the area and give it a shot. Like has been mentioned before, you have to catch that big boy out in the daytime. That's could be a struggle to do anyways. That deer didn't get that big by being stupid and chances are, you may not be able to find him during the daytime anyways.

But, if you did get the chance to have your son take him, and then have him pass on it, you would have to be prepared to possibly never see that buck again in your lifetime and kick yourself later for not taking the opportunity when you had the chance. He may get shot, lion killed or some other bizarre occurance. To me, I would rather have my son have a chance at a monster buck like that if the chance presented itself. If he did shoot it, at least you were part of the hunt and he would always have that memory of you being with him and vice versa (you'd also be the worlds best guide ever and best dad ever too!)

As far as the future and having him being spoiled with taking big bucks, I say "whatever". Hunting in this state is going to get harder and harder in the upcoming years. I don't think the opportunity to take a quality buck like this will be as great in the future, so, why not take advantage when you can? I honestly doubt that you would regret seeing your boy shoot this buck if the chance presents itself.

Hope you get him!

Very well said ;)

Go get him Mike

I think you hunt that TOAD and if your son should have an opp...he should take him!!! Let's face it, how many of us have ever seen a deer like that through our peep sights or scopes, I for one have not. If your son should get him, it will be a memory he will remember the rest of his life. Just think, your son wacks a deer like that and he did it with you!! :P That's better than any gross score in my book. Good luck and I hope your son get's him with you right next to him. What do you think would be more of a rush, you shooting that buck with your son watching or your son shooting that buck with you watching!

I think the most important part of all this, is your doing it with your son.

I can't wait to see the pic's of you and your son holding whatever.

Have a great hunt,

If you have been monitoring this toad for 3mos now Mike, how involved has your son been during those 3mos, and most importantly, what have you told/promised him? You cannot renegotiate your commitment now that the camera has revealed Coues-zilla... if you try, he'll turn into another Kent State shooter... screaming to the scattering masses below, "my dad promised I could shoot that huge buck - then he punked me!"

Has he been willing and eager to sacrifice - or have you had to drag him to check cameras and refresh batteries etc? Are video games and hang-time with friends more important? I know kids are kids, but at his age will he appreciate the monumental blessing that harvesting an animal THAT beautiful is?

Perhaps he should be given a chance to harvest an animal that is equal to age, his effort, his investment... and with time [at your side], you can pass another "shot of a lifetime" to a slightly less young man who will recognize how much that shot means.

Another consideration is you're not getting any younger, and this might actually be the great-great grandfather of that newborn you shot last January!

My 2 centavos!

Kurt

I'm confident you'll make a good decision - despite what all of us think/say

BH4L, dude, you got to be a little loco. When my son was 10 thru 14 I didn't even buy a tag for myself. I solely focused on giving him the greatest hunting experiences I could. Help him hunt that big boy and get him on your wall. If you don't, someone else might be showing him off!!!!!!!!!!

I can't for the life of me figure out what all the dicussion is all about. :o Just let your son go shoot him and be one proud papa. ;) Bottom line! :D

TJ

I would try to keep that one in the family! You and your son should both go after him and pray someone is lucky enough to harvest him. What a great deer! I have quite a few big bucks on cams and have never gotten one of them. Good luck to both of you!