Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Federal 215 primer super tight in new brass and one real bad

So I'm using federal magnum primers for the first time and thought I'd do some loads with brand new Weatherby brass. Every primer was super tight to place in brass. Like a two hand squeeze

Hornadau primer loader. Which I like. Normally very positive engagement

Then one primer in pocket got totally messed up.

Is this just new brass and exact specs of fed primer?

I updated pics of loaded rounds that I just noticed the primer are a bit squeezed do think I should pull all these? They are new test loads

post-5454-0-25548900-1485013354_thumb.jpg

post-5454-0-00747800-1485021456_thumb.jpg

The primer pocket is formed by a stamping process and the flash hole is punched. Tolerances are not always precise. I use reamers that uniform both before I load the brass for the first time.

Had the same thing with the first lot of 26 nosler brass I loaded for my 28. Called Norma up and they sent me another lot to try. Much better.

They sent new brass? That's nice. Wonder if I should call Weatherby. They'll say call Norma or piss off I suspect

They sent new brass? That's nice. Wonder if I should call Weatherby. They'll say call Norma or piss off I suspect

Your brass has a Weatherby headstamp, is Norma producing it for them?

Yea I have confirmed with Weatherby in the past that Norma makes their brass and ammo

Yea I have confirmed with Weatherby in the past that Norma makes their brass and ammo

Norma may have produced the brass but Weatherby contracted them to do it and put a Weatherby headstamp on it. They then put it in a box that said Weatherby on it and sold it to you. Sounds like Weatherby's problem to me. Who did you buy it from. Someone like Midway would take a return on it but it would have to remove the primers first.

• Like 1

I have used Fed. mag. primers w/ Nosler brass, no problems at all. When I tried to seat them in Lapua brass, they were way too snug, and I quit using them. Winchester and CCI seat fine in Lapua. There appears to be some issues with tolerances with recent Fed. 215 M primers.

forepaw

I've had this happen with .223 a lot. I have found that I can avoid it 99% of the time if I squeeze my hand primer slowly just until I feel the primer come into contact with the brass. Twist the brass around and you will eventually feel the primer settle in the pocket. Then press it into the brass in the rest of the way. Should slip right in.

My Fed 210 did the same thing! I got the reamer and that solved it but still slightly tight to get on. That was virgin Nosler brass though. After they were shot they seated just perfect

Any of you who are having this problem have a micrometer? Those primers should have a diameter of 0.210 to 0.211. This is starting to sound like a Federal problem. I am using Winchester. I just put a Mitutoyo mic on one, 0.210 dead on. All it is going to take is an extra thousandth or two to start causing problems.

Had the same thing with the first lot of 26 nosler brass I loaded for my 28. Called Norma up and they sent me another lot to try. Much better.

I missed something here the first time. Nosler brass is produced by Norma. Looks like the problem is at Norma.