DCMHunter

Sons first Mule Deer Buck

My Son got his first mule deer buck Sunday morning. It is a nice 20 inch 3X3 still in velvet (sort of). We were working a bench between two roads and had him stand up about 150 yards away and my son made a one shot harvest. The buck did not go 100yards and was down for the count. My son is doing a skull cap moint with the antlers and we are wondering is there anything we can spray the antlers to preserve the loose velvet and the color of the antlers were the velvet has come off?

I will post pictures when I get my 35mm film developed.

DCM

I am not for sure on this but i think once it has started to come off it is like a scab and becomes dead. It will stink to high heavens. I am betting that it will need to be scraped and removed. When it is in full velvet they inject it with something to keep it from going through the process that you sons buck has already started. GTT and some of the others that do this kind of work may chime in and say it can be done this way. Like i said i am just guessing at this.

it can be freeze dried just like any other set of velvet antlers. most taxidermists can do this for you.

You can inject every 1/4" using a syringe and formaldehyde or formalin solution. Wear safety goggles.

There are companies that will flock stripped antlers with artificial velvet.

Congratulations to your son!

All the comments about the velvet are good....but you will not be able to inject at this point. You could have it stripped & sent out to have artificial velvet put on...but this process can be pricey & it will look very neat & clean...not common for this time of year. I would just paint a coat of antler in velvet tan over the whole rack & let dry for a week...then wash it off & fluff the velvet with air or a soft brush. This will preserve the velvet & bug proof it....you can get this tan on line. Hope this helps

Thanks for all the information. I will try and find some velvet Tan to spray them with. I will attempt to post some pics. If this works you can see how the velvet is just hanging from the tips on the right antler. This is what my son would like to save.

post-652-1192045564_thumb.jpgpost-652-1192045536_thumb.jpg

As you can see I need practice with taking photo's and getting out of the shadows.

Matty thanks for your help. We made it down into that area on Saturday but didn't see anything. My son shot this one right on the rim as you start down into that area, about a mile from the road.

DCM

a real good taxiedermist i know of says to put em in the freezer for a year. just in the freezer. don't wrap em in anything. he said worked better than any of the tanning processes. Lark.

I recently put a velvet rack in the fridge and then bought it out for a few hours at a time to enjoy it, and then back in the fridge. A 2 and a half hour, in the back of a truck, ride helped and then back in the fridge.

After 2 weeks it was visibly shrinking down pretty good enough to keep it out of the fridge.

What Lark is saying about the freezer is correct. All that really has to take place is a "drying-out", but this has to be done at a temperature that retards/restricts bacteria growth.

Mike

Lark has it--i stuck my daughters buck antlers in the freezer for about three months and then put them on a plaque--they never smelled and they are still on the wall--she shot hers when she was ten and now she is 21--