Sign in to follow this  
Blakehanley

WTB Cheap Rifle

Lot of good advice here, hard to go wrong with most of it. But there is nothing wrong IMO with getting into a Savage Axis when there is a true limit in budget. Regardless of how they feel, they SHOOT, accurately!

Savage has the $50 rebate now through April. For reference, the "XP" distinguishes that it's a scope combo.

Personally, my Axis, although a heavy barrel chambered in .223, shot factory bulk ammo at 1 MOA and is stupid accurate with reloads after a proper barrel break in.

I have been looking at some of the savage models I am comfortable with all rifles just never have purchased any and feel like I should just own one. Just seeing if some one has they need to get rid of or clear space for a new rifle.

Buy what you can afford now, I'm not against saving for a better rifle but really it's not like optics. Optics are better with price for the most part but rifles don't always work that way. I bought a .22 rifle in 05-06 new from walmart for $60. Only bought it to see how long I could shoot a .22 without cleaning it lol (and it was 60 bucks! Today that sane rifle is around $200. Btw, 3-4000 rounds a year and still shoots great without being cleaned.

• Like 1

Some good suggestions here. But I'd recommend setting your money aside and adding a few bucks a month for a year or so until you can get something a little bit better. You can start getting into some pretty good factory rifles in the $500-$600 range (Tikka T3, Savage, Weatherby Vanguard). I see some of these rifles in here on occasion in the $400-$500 range. I definitely think it would be worth waiting a bit. Next time you are in a rifle shop try sliding the action open and closed on a bottom level versus one of those I mentioned and you will notice a big difference right off the bat on the action alone.

Solid point here. I love my old Smith & Wesson 1500 rifles they are SMOOOOTH and Howa/Weatherby same.. And these guns shoot right out of the box. I also own tikka and love them and way lighter weight than the howa weatberby. If big cal the weight is kinda nice though.

One of The above in a 308, 3006 or a 270 is perfect, they dont kick much, and ammo can be found in the smallest town/city in the country. A GOOD SCOPE/MOUNTS IS WORTH EVERY EXTRA DOLLAR YOU SPEND. Have fun!

Lot of good advice here, hard to go wrong with most of it. But there is nothing wrong IMO with getting into a Savage Axis when there is a true limit in budget. Regardless of how they feel, they SHOOT, accurately!

Savage has the $50 rebate now through April. For reference, the "XP" distinguishes that it's a scope combo.

Personally, my Axis, although a heavy barrel chambered in .223, shot factory bulk ammo at 1 MOA and is stupid accurate with reloads after a proper barrel break in.

Truth! I like tikka and Weatherby but also know many men who have bought Savage Axis for their kid then been absolutely amazed at the performance! Same with ruger American.. Some do boyd's stocks on axis and some do triggers on Ruger American but I have NEVER heard of disappointment with 1 of these rifles.. YES bolt feels slightly scratchy compared to some others but they kill the same! :) also rem 700 like $377 at Wal-Mart.

Btw- I have owned $300 savage and $900 savage and they shot the same just sayin.

• Like 1

Lots of good help here. 2 cents more. If you're buying new I'd go with a top-line rifle(not Axis, 783, American). Deals can be found on Savage 110's and Howas close to what you're willing to spend. Check out CDNN or Whittaker's online for deals. That leaves a lot more upside if you ever want to improve or sell the rifle.

But I think the best path is to find a used and scoped rifle that someone has "outgrown." Used and scoped can be done for $350 and it's AZ so face to face is paperless/painless. New and then decent optics is going to be $450 to 500 once taxes or shipping is added.

270, 30-06 or 308

Kent

You could get an absolute gem buying used, but if I was on a budget spending everything I had, I sure would want to know how a barrel has been treated in its life.

Thank you all for your replies Hopefully will have a rifle by tomorrow quality optics might be farther down the road... but accurate out too 100 yards is what I will be practicing at.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies Hopefully will have a rifle by tomorrow quality optics might be farther down the road... but accurate out too 100 yards is what I will be practicing at.

Decent clear glass getting cheaper all the time. 👍 if your couple hundred yard guy you have plenty of options to get ya going. Of you happen to be military, veteran, leo, fire - shoot me a mssg. If not I have had maybe even have some Nikon buckmasters 3-9x40 that are super nice for $100. You got options.

Hope your deal works out!

Doug has Minox Z3s in 3-9 for $99 or Weaver Grand Slams on Ebay for $150.

Either would serve 90% of anyone's intended use.

Savage Axis in .308

The above mentioned grand slam 3-10x40 with ballistic x reticle is a smokin deal for $150 the shop has multiple on closeout and they have gotten bunch of my $

Congrats on your rifle. I have a savage axis in 243. I ditched the bushnell scope & added Weaver picatinny rail, Weaver rings & Redfield 4 x 12 x 40 accu range scope.

Painted the stock , added a Timney trigger & Harris bipod. These are good shooters no matter what anybody says, nothing wrong with a Savage!!