CatfishKev

Container gardening for a total begginer

Even in SV you probably need to get planted right away. I planted in early February and everything is growing well. My artichokes did have an aphid problem that put them back a couple weeks, but once the danger of the last frost is gone, plant plant plant.

My peas probably won't make it or do anything this year because it got to hot to quick. I have already lost about 10% of the pea plants I planted due to heat. I am about to put the shade screen up over the box planter soon because it gets so much sun. I am going to add a drip system to it too so it waters when my main garden waters.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p87/

20170212_134836_zpsoy5ubuqi.jpg

By "pots" you can see tires, buckets, and pots...

Harley

We just started two weeks or so ago! And we just planted 30 potatoes in a circular tire-type thing. We can't wait for those!

post-12305-0-32081000-1490026697_thumb.jpg

What are the tire looking things? I am thinking about doing potatoes too, but the tires didn't work out that well last year. They held to much water and half the crop went rotten. They also use a lot of soil for a small return.

I want to do more planter boxes/garden space, but it is also in my kids play area so I have to keep my footprint under control otherwise the kids have no place to play.

The neighbor threw them over when we started the project. I'll ask him what it is.

And apparently having a fence is pretty important.

We've been getting a lot of attempted break-in's at the garden perimeter. Little holes dug around most of the fence.

Nothing got through, but I was curious. A little early to set up the cameras for deer, so I got some practice in.

post-12305-0-67301000-1490539692_thumb.jpg

post-12305-0-60497600-1490539754_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I just started a garden this fall at my house. I will take a few pics when i get home and post them up. I wanted to try a sample of lots of veggies to see which ones grew best and they all are doing pretty good. Artichokes are growing amazing, so are cherry tomatoes and basil. All of my herbs have been doing well, rosemary, thyme, and all my mints. I hooked all of it up to my drip system and bought some pretty cool rotary sprinklers for it. Pics when I get home.

What's up with the pics?

Sorry Mike you know how it is with the little ones. I will get pictures of my mint garden tomorrow.

post-8664-0-52916200-1490763777_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-41062100-1490763835_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-31122100-1490763857_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-02183700-1490763876_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-88759600-1490763905_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice garden Brian. You have the same layout as my garden.

• Like 1

Nice garden.

I am waiting on my artichokes to make a come back. They were going great this year, and while I was out of town recently aphids ravaged them. I had to cut them way back and work on getting rid of them. They are coming back, but if I didn't have the aphid problem, I think I would have already had artichokes.

• Like 1

Sorry Mike you know how it is with the little ones. I will get pictures of my mint garden tomorrow.

My house faces east so anything I put near walls get baked. :( well except sage it grows bigger the hotter it gets. Good job!

• Like 1

Man this thread is getting me interested again...might have to get out my brown thumb this weekend.

After 15years being in my house I just got a resident cottontail and now her babies that frequent my yard.. Gonna have to wait till cars whack them so I won't have to. 🔫