Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

Hornady 140 eld-m

Has anybody been able to get the Eld-x bullets to shoot besides the factory ammo? I have a cut rifled 1-8.5 twist barrel and I'm beginning to think these bullets are just to long for my barrel. I actually got a little tumbling in the beginning when they were loaded just off the lands. David

Went to the range last night and shot a group just over half minute with some 143s at 100 yds.

Nosler brass

210m primer

42.3 h4350

Oal 2.810

Second time I've shot that load into 1/2 minute so I'm going to stick with it. Going to site it at 200 today and hopefully shoot some steel if the wind stays down

The 143gr ELDX says on the box that 1:8 twist is needed. That's what I'm running on the 6.5x284 at 26" and 3R rifling. I had the gun built to shoot the 140gr Berger VLD, but durring load development we determined the gun just didn't like them at all. At $4 a round for factory, I'm reloading and have them down to around $2 per round. I'm holding 1/2 minute accuracy out of the hand loads. The biggest difference is FPS. 3000+ with factory, and at max load reloading we're at 2740.

Load is as follows:

Lapua brass

IMR 4831 45gr

Winchester primers

Hornady ELDX 143 gr

3.160 OAL .008 off the lands

So far I've had awesome results with the ELDX both on the range and on game.

I can't get a picture loaded from my phone.

I,m thinking the factory is using superformance powder I would say try that if you want to get fps up

right now my 143s are flying at 2780 fps. They are grouping fairly well but I've been having fun tweaking things and trying to tighten them up. What would be the advantage/disadvantage of dropping down to a 130 Berger/130 at hybrid? Thanks

right now my 143s are flying at 2780 fps. They are grouping fairly well but I've been having fun tweaking things and trying to tighten them up. What would be the advantage/disadvantage of dropping down to a 130 Berger/130 at hybrid? Thanks

What rifle are you using?

I couldn't get 143's to shoot out of my .264 win mag. 130 eld-m's shoot under 1/2 moa though. Shooting them about 3,200 fps. Should be a great deer round

• Like 3

I couldn't get 143's to shoot out of my .264 win mag. 130 eld-m's shoot under 1/2 moa though. Shooting them about 3,200 fps. Should be a great deer round

Awesome. Didn't know if dropping 10 grains would be a deal breaker. I'll give em a try.

I saw some pics of some of these things recovered out of an oryx after a rodeo trying to get it killed. Complete jacket separation and lead was nowhere to be found. I'm gonna steer clear of them unless the start bonding them or make an all copper version.

I would not shoot anything bigger than a deer with them, they are rapid expanding. The 120 a-max is a great deer bullet. Seen a lot of deer get dumped with them. I imagine the 130 will do the same.

A high BC 130 pushed a bit faster in a Creedmoor vs the 140 a little slower in the Creedmoor gives very similar performance. You give up a little wind drift and energy but not a lot. There is a reason those PRS guys love the 130s in the Creed.

• Like 1

A high BC 130 pushed a bit faster in a Creedmoor vs the 140 a little slower in the Creedmoor gives very similar performance. You give up a little wind drift and energy but not a lot. There is a reason those PRS guys love the 130s in the Creed.

That's what I was wondering. Figured they would about even out.

I would not shoot anything bigger than a deer with them, they are rapid expanding. The 120 a-max is a great deer bullet. Seen a lot of deer get dumped with them. I imagine the 130 will do the same.

This was a 210gr 30 cal I believe. There's so many awesome bullet choices out there that do perform well on game I don't see a reason to use on that has jacket separation unless it was the only thing the your gun would eat I guess. That'd be a good excuse to get a new gun though!

I have piled up a few animals with Berger's, and I have found pieces of jacket seperated from lead. This does not make this a bad bullet. I plan on using the ELD X's this year in another rifle and I am sure if I do my part, the bullet will get the job done. So many "rodeo" stories usually start with a misplaced shot.