BeardownAZ

223 factory loads??(pics pg. 3)

Whats everyone using? Got an AR but am going to get a bolt gun for coyotes, etc. I've got enough FMJ 55 grain that shoots great but am looking at hunting rounds that are accurate, somewhat cheap and good explosive characteristics on impact. Like Hornady Vmaxs or Fiochhi 50 grain, along those lines.

VMax factory 55gr had proven to be very deadly for me on coyotes so I started hand loading 53 gr (better BC). Not fur friendly.

• Like 1

FirstCoues- Which brand did you like that carried the ballistic tips? What grain?

I reload them, I'm not certain who loads them factory.

depends on what twist the rife is (I shoot 1 to 9). i like using speer 64gr. pretty accurate in my rifles. PSA was selling it for 10$ a box.

Whats the twist on the barrel on your AR shooting those 40 grain Fiocchi? I like the idea of the Fiocchi especially the price compared to the others B)

The 40s should spin in just about any barrel. Imho, I hate them though. Killed two coyotes with them one day... terrible results.

Mine is 1 to 7 twist standard colt 6920, that bullet pretty much just disintegrates on impact and it known for not over penetrating. It's more of a home defense round as it will barely and usually does not even pass through drywall once it's went through one layer. There's a YouTube video out there floating around where guy tested it for home defense by shooting it at drywall.

What issues were you having with it Casey?

Just overall terrible performance. Like stated, killed two coyotes on back to back stands. Both took 5 rounds. No penetration, splashing, etc.

So this is kind of an ammature ballistics question. Since I have 1 1/2 cases of factory FMJ ammo...I wondered if I could carefully grind back the tip, to the lead core, and effectively have a hollow point bullet? Will this work?

My AR has a 1to 9 twist and loves those fiocchi 50g vmax.....very rarely do I have to shot a yote more than once. Only if coyote is within 25 yards does it blow holes in the fur....