Well, This Mule deer hunter got his 1st Coues deer. I got him Friday Afternoon. Well I'm not a story teller, but I'll give it a try. We got a late start Friday, didn't get to the unit until about 11am, on the way in to set up camp, we come to a fork in the road were not sure which way to go, so I tell my buddy(AZRHD, ) lets take the right fork, we go about a 1/4 of a mile and it dead ends, as I'm making a u-turn and upset about taking a wrong turn, I noticed a buck on the side of the hill about 300 hundred yards away , he goes down into a canyon. I decided to go after him, When I get to the top of the ridge where he went down, I can't find him but I notice a ridge about a 1/4 of a mile away, and decide to go take a look. I get to the top of the ridge. I see a deer running up the side of the canyon but don't see no headgear, but then a buck runs up the canyon, I decide to take a shot, lucky for me there's a barbed wire fence to rest on, one shot with my daughters .243 at 155 yards and he's down. When I left the truck, I couldn't get to my 30-06 buried in all the gear, so I had grabbed the .243 which was supposed to be my back up rifle. My first coues deer. 3 of us took turns carrying him on our shoulders out of the canyon, thats cool can't do that with a mule deer. Never knew when everything seemed to be going wrong it could turn out so right. I got to meet Jim Heffilinger( hopefully I spelled it right). I met him when I checked my deer in at the check station at 3 points, it was the first buck checked in on friday, he aged it at 3&1/2 years old.

3wtdeer.bmpwtdeer.bmp2wtdeer.bmp

Mulie Hunter,

Great job, i know that you chased them pretty good last year and didn't connect, but great job sticking with it! Thanks for sharin! Your sign now is officially Mulie/coues hunter... ;)

Doug

AzP&Y

Congrats on a successfull hunt, sounds like a short one but a successfull one none the less.

Phil

Nice buck mulie hunter! I was down in 36A this past weekend as well. Saw a couple of bucks, but never got into shooting position. That's how it goes sometimes I guess though.... ;)

Jim is a VERY nice guy who is abosolutely passionate about deer (especially mulies... ). He and his son usually show-up at the 36A youth camp, and he is always interested in talking about deer, either mulies or coues. Lots of good info in that man' head!

Congrats on the buck, and thanks for sharing. I like to see all of the family in the pics! ;)

S.

:)

Thanks everyone, it's was a short but sweet hunt, I'm actually starting to enjoy hunting coues deer. AzP&Y, We hunted them hard in 35a last year with no luck, so this was great. Red Rabbit, I read somewhere on here about the .243 not working that good, but it sure got the job done. Stanley, Jim was very nice and knowledgeable about deer, he even gave us directions to a butcher in Tucson.

Well I got the privilege of being close by when mulie hunter got his buck.......well lets say I was at the truck keeping it company. With my asthma it is hard for me to keep up with him. I did hear the shot and when there wasn't a second I figured he got one. Mulie hunter is a great hunting partner to have. I finally hiked up to the ridge he shot it from and between breaths yelled support.......like are you sure you hit it. He did a great job and is always a pleasure to hunt with.

great job, looks like you worked your hind end off packing out in that heat........congrats........Allen........

You got that right, I got my rear end kicked, It was way too hot!

Congratulations!! Gotta love the .243, I have shot a bunch of critters up to the size of a blue wildebeest in Africa with one and it works just fine if you park the bullet in the right spot.