Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

28 Nosler 30 Nosler 33 Nosler

I was hoping for your guys insight mainly out of curiosity and for knowledge. What are the pros for these new rounds? I heard they are pretty similar to other rounds but I've read 33 Nosler does the same as a 338 Lapue but with less powder. Any insight would be awesome

I'm very interested in building a 28 Nosler. It would be like combining the ballistics of a 7mm with the power of my 300 RUM. I know the 7mm RUM already exists, but it seems to add another option. I know new site sponsor Axis Works has built 28 Noslers for some friends. You might give Eric at Axis Works a call.

I think firstcoueswas80 has a 28nosler that he has worked with quite a bit.

I have a 7RUM- which has been as hard to find brass for as I first expected because lots of guys are jumping up to the 28 nosler.

• Like 1

Standard action, 80 grains, h1000, 1/2 mos (although my shooting for the competition wouod say otherwise), 180 gr berger at 3200.... color me impressed.

• Like 1

I was hoping for your guys insight mainly out of curiosity and for knowledge. What are the pros for these new rounds? I heard they are pretty similar to other rounds but I've read 33 Nosler does the same as a 338 Lapue but with less powder. Any insight would be awesome

From Nosler's point of view not all the pros of designing a new round relate to ballistics. Think marketing. If the cartridge is SAAMI standardized any manufacture can load it or chamber it. It will, however, always carry the name given by it's designer. 28 NOSLER, they are getting brand recognition.

I think firstcoueswas80 has a 28nosler that he has worked with quite a bit.

I have a 7RUM- which has been as hard to find brass for as I first expected because lots of guys are jumping up to the 28 nosler.

.300 RUM brass is more common. Run it through your 7 RUM sizing die and you have 7 RUM brass.

Nothing new but the name. Nice not being a belted mag, even though I have never had issues with a belted mag.

Very similar ballistics to other rounds. Just a new fad to get the Nosler name out.

28 Nosler, 7 RUM, 7 Dakota, 7.21 Fire bird, 7 Allen Mag, 7 STW, etc.

30 Nosler, .300RUM, .300 NM, .300 Dakota, 7.82 Warbied etc.

33 Nosler, .338 RUM,. 338 Edge, .338 Weatherby, .338-378 Weatherby, 8.59 Titan, etc.

Firstcoues, have you tried those Berger 195s in your 28? I got a 7mm but thinking of turning it in to 28 to shoot those bullets.

• Like 1

Firstcoues, have you tried those Berger 195s in your 28? I got a 7mm but thinking of turning it in to 28 to shoot those bullets.

No. I never really saw the point honestly.

You need to make sure your barrel twist is fast enough. Berger recommends 1:8.

To my mind, the Nosler offerings didn't add anything new or different in terms of ballistics to the already saturated 28, 30 & 33 calibers. What they did bring is credible support. Remington introduced the RUM series (hugely popular) and then failed to support them with different types of ammo and reloading brass. Even today, Remington RUM brass costs way more than it should - and it is still scarce.

I have no experience with Nosler brass, but I do know you can easily find it on the shelves. Is it worth the higher price? I can't say. It depends on how many firings you get out of each piece. I own a 300 RUM and I can only get 3 firings out of a Rem case before it begins to show signs of case head separation. I just bought some Norma 300 RUM brass - expensive, but I have hopes it will last much longer than three firings. Most of my other rifles are chambered in rounds that are supported by Lapua brass. It's expensive, but it is high quality and lasts forever. I get at least a dozen firings out of my 338 Allen Express (improved 338 Lapua).

Knowing what I know now - I would choose the Nosler 30 over the 300 RUM just because of components and quality.

• Like 1

To my mind, the Nosler offerings didn't add anything new or different in terms of ballistics to the already saturated 28, 30 & 33 calibers. What they did bring is credible support. Remington introduced the RUM series (hugely popular) and then failed to support them with different types of ammo and reloading brass. Even today, Remington RUM brass costs way more than it should - and it is still scarce.

I have no experience with Nosler brass, but I do know you can easily find it on the shelves. Is it worth the higher price? I can't say. It depends on how many firings you get out of each piece. I own a 300 RUM and I can only get 3 firings out of a Rem case before it begins to show signs of case head separation. I just bought some Norma 300 RUM brass - expensive, but I have hopes it will last much longer than three firings. Most of my other rifles are chambered in rounds that are supported by Lapua brass. It's expensive, but it is high quality and lasts forever. I get at least a dozen firings out of my 338 Allen Express (improved 338 Lapua).

Knowing what I know now - I would choose the Nosler 30 over the 300 RUM just because of components and quality.

Interesting

Only 3 firings from Remington headstamped .300RUM brass??? You must be shooting a REALLY hot load. I still have 112 of my original 120 pieces from 1999. I have between 8-10 firings on them, depending on which individual piece. And I feel I run them fairly hot.

I used to shoot 175 SMKs @ 3360fps, 175 LRX @ 3350fps. 210 HVLD & 215 Hybrids at 3100fps now. Many other attempts at tinkering around using various bullets too. Some of them have been getting loose primer pockets over the last year, so getting to be time to start looking for more brass soon.

• Like 2

Only 3 firings from Remington headstamped .300RUM brass??? You must be shooting a REALLY hot load. I still have 112 of my original 120 pieces from 1999. I have between 8-10 firings on them, depending on which individual piece. And I feel I run them fairly hot.

I used to shoot 175 SMKs @ 3360fps, 175 LRX @ 3350fps. 210 HVLD & 215 Hybrids at 3100fps now. Many other attempts at tinkering around using various bullets too. Some of them have been getting loose primer pockets over the last year, so getting to be time to start looking for more brass soon.

My experience with the Remington brass is similar. It will go over 10 firings with no sign of head separation. I eventually start loosing them to loose primer pockets.