shortpants

Shorty Bags a Buck...

Well Coosefan gave you the intro to this story in his write-up about his incredible buck he took on our trip so I'll skip to the hunt.

Opening morning my good friend T-Bone and I woke up at 3:15am had some breakfast and were hiking by 4:00am. After 2 hours of hiking in the dark we sat perched on our glassing spot where we thought we would find lots of good bucks and no hunting pressure. To our surprise this plan did not go as expected. I glassed up a solid 90'' class buck but was unable to relocate him after an all day search. The sun set on our opening day and we set off back towards camp (another 2 hour hike in the dark). The second morning we went to a different spot because we saw quite a few hunters the first day even though we hiked so far. We saw a few small bucks and passed on a 75'' class buck. That afternoon was uneventful and day 2 came to a close. The 3rd day was supposed to be my lucky day because it was my birthday. We made our way into the bowl where Coosefan killed his buck last year. We picked the bowl apart all morning but didn't see anything spectacular. I was beginning to get a little frustrated with the lack of not only shooter bucks, but deer in general. I usually see an average of 25 deer a day. Here it was the 3rd day and I hadn't seen a total of 25 deer total??? It was miserably hot and the full moon was definitely not helping. I hadn't given up hope yet because every time we went back to camp we would see Jim's buck lying there reminding us that they do exist. It was still my birthday and I just knew the afternoon was going to turn my luck around. We jumped in the Rhino to head out and wouldn't you know it, it wouldn't start. I was not very happy and started feeling like my luck was going to continue to get worse. T-Bone went to work on the Rhino and an hour later had the faulty fuel pump fixed and we were off. It was too late to go where we had planned to go so we glassed closer to camp and turned up nothing.

Day 4 would be the day that ended a 4 year drought on Coues bucks for me. After glassing into the late morning and starting to feel that familiar frustrating feeling a shooter stepped into sight of my 15's! As soon as I saw him I told T-Bone "I got a shooter!" With T-bone spotting for me I set up for the 472 yard shot. I squeezed off a shot and T-bone called it high. I adjusted and squeezed off another, "you got 'em!" He said the shot hit him a little far back so I got back on him and readied for a 3rd shot. I was now into full buck fever mode and T-Bone said "your shaking bad." I replied "I know I can't stop shaking.'' He tried to calm me down and I shot again, "high." A few more shots and a lot more shaking and the buck was down for good. The shaking continued as the celebration began. I haven't had buck fever since my first deer but I just wanted this one so badly that when he stepped out I knew what I had been dreaming of for so long was about to become true!

Well here he is...

post-1277-1193894235.jpg

post-1277-1193894272_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1193894307_thumb.jpg

Dang.....I tell you what...that first photo would be a defintite top contender for this years photo contest!!!! TOO BAD SOMEONE DIDN'T ENTER THE CONTEST :angry: Hey Doug, maybe I can enter Shorty's pic in place of mine :unsure: :P Just kiddin' ;) That is my favorite pic I've ever taken though! Great buck Shorty....you hunted your butt off for that one! Now get T-Bone to sign on and post up his story and photos! Congrats again bud! JIM>

P.S........... Everyone needs to give Shorty a hard time about not entering in the contest this year! LOL!

Hey shorty, I heard your shootin was 'firstcoues' style this year :D

congrats man!

PS> I just read the story, and for a guy who has killed come really really nice bucks to get buck fever, I love it! If you ever loose that again, you should quit hunting... then you can start going on my hunts with me :D

Nice!! didn't you see the prize line-up this year for the contest?? That is an awesome photo, no doubt would've won the contest........too bad.

Congrats shorty!

Great buck and fantastic story- nice going - the drought is definetely over!

AzP&Y

Great buck you got there longshorts. Congratulations.

Sorry to hear about the contest you did not enter :( That pic might have won it

:P :P

I looked on the registration list. No shortpants, no longpants, no knickerpants, no pajamapants, no wifewearsthepants. Gee, no pants of any kind to be found entered in the contest. Sorry.

Regardless, real nice buck and terrific photos.

Congrats on a trophy after 4 years to ya shortpants.

Doug~RR

Thanks everybody. I told Jim to feel free to make an example out of me in regards to the contest so let me have it! That's pretty funny Doug!

I'll try to convince T-Bone to get on here and tell his story. All I will say for now is he was done a couple of hours after I was so we pulled a double! T-Bone has a double streak going but I'll let him tell you the rest.

Man what an awesome buck! Congrats. Great pictures as well. Let's here T-Bone's story and see some more pics...you better get him to sign in and post them up.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Phil