Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

First trip with the new tent

I went camping under the guise of Turkey hunting this past weekend. No bird but had this Mountain King Snake pay me a visit.

Caterpillar is a Giant Swallowtail Butterfly, not sure what kind of fungus that is but I think squirrels like to eat them.

post-3883-0-43985200-1494366641_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-19822500-1494366698_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-33763900-1494366720_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-32504300-1494366735_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-37836900-1494366756_thumb.jpg

post-3883-0-41434900-1494366776_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I just had mine up as well this past weekend for a fathers and sons outing. Loved it. I think I am staking mine down too tight though. not sure how it is supposed to be. Mine is the 10x10.

Had a few of those inflatable solar lanterns hanging inside. Was great.

Beautiful area you were in.

Slumming it on the rim...

post-3913-0-50168200-1494367713_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yes this is a 10x14 I bought on here from a member last year. I have a heavy duty tarp I had made about 5 years ago from some company on the internet for a 10x10 tent and had it made to 10x14 so that worked out well.

Same heavyweight material the flat bead truckers use. After I staked it down I broke out the poles and realized I did not have the four bars for the sides. This was about noon and I didn't want to make the 10 hour round trip home.

Fortunately I had the fiberglass poles from my old 10x10 dome tent with me so I cut the cord that holds them together but alas they were too fat to get into the holes. I had used some tent stakes from Wally World to hold it down and still have the stakes that came with the tent. I sized one up and it fit perfectly into the end of the pole. I had four 1/2" hose clamps so I clamped one of the fiberglass poles parallel to the stake about 2" from the end of it but there was nothing to support the rest of it to take advantage of the strength of the stake.

Then I remembered I has some steel tie wire used to hold rebar together. I did a few wraps at the other end of the stake and used my linesmens pliers to snug it up. I did the other three and prayed as I lifted one side up to put in the pole. It looked good and the fiberglass poles seemed to handle the weight of the tent. I went over to the other side and raised it up and set the pole. As I looked up though I saw that the 90 degree end had poked through the canvas. Oh well, tent officially was "broken in". Could have been worse, I mean sleeping in the back of the truck.

• Like 2

Looks like alot of fun.....I think we are going to go out camping this weekend as well pretending we are looking for turkey!!!

That is one ugly caterpillar!!!!

Not sure when I'll get another chance to go back out. I've had luck in this area before with gobblers sounding off in a few areas but it was hot and they were quiet except for one who stayed on private property and I couldn't get him to come off either day. I did hear some wolves on opening morning and found a nice Coues shed, after I just about tripped over it. I also heard for the first time about 4 or 5 hens getting into a ruckus and that went on for a few minutes. Don't know what they were fighting over.

Yes this is a 10x14 I bought on here from a member last year. I have a heavy duty tarp I had made about 5 years ago from some company on the internet for a 10x10 tent and had it made to 10x14 so that worked out well.

Same heavyweight material the flat bead truckers use. After I staked it down I broke out the poles and realized I did not have the four bars for the sides. This was about noon and I didn't want to make the 10 hour round trip home.

Fortunately I had the fiberglass poles from my old 10x10 dome tent with me so I cut the cord that holds them together but alas they were too fat to get into the holes. I had used some tent stakes from Wally World to hold it down and still have the stakes that came with the tent. I sized one up and it fit perfectly into the end of the pole. I had four 1/2" hose clamps so I clamped one of the fiberglass poles parallel to the stake about 2" from the end of it but there was nothing to support the rest of it to take advantage of the strength of the stake.

Then I remembered I has some steel tie wire used to hold rebar together. I did a few wraps at the other end of the stake and used my linesmens pliers to snug it up. I did the other three and prayed as I lifted one side up to put in the pole. It looked good and the fiberglass poles seemed to handle the weight of the tent. I went over to the other side and raised it up and set the pole. As I looked up though I saw that the 90 degree end had poked through the canvas. Oh well, tent officially was "broken in". Could have been worse, I mean sleeping in the back of the truck.

Thats awesome (excep for the hole of course).

• Like 1

Looks like alot of fun.....I think we are going to go out camping this weekend as well pretending we are looking for turkey!!!

It is also know as the "bird poop" caterpillar. Turns into a huge black butterfly.

That sounds like a good idea! I might have to sneak off after the softball games on Saturday!

I love my kodiak tent! Best money I've spent.

• Like 3

I'm looking at getting a good tent for taking the wife and kid out. Is kodiak the way to go for quality and ease of setup? Also is it worth it to get the delux over the basic model?

Nice McGiver job on the tent. Really like my Kodiak as well. Go to Lowes/Home Depot and cut the indoor/outdoor carpet to fit the inside. It's the bomb! Just fold it in 3rd's longways, then fold ends into center in quarters, then roll up and tie with small rope for storage.

Sorry you didn't fill your tag, but all the adventure anyways, right?

• Like 3

Best tent there is. I love mine. I out a canopy in front of mine for more shade and tie the awning too it. Works great

• Like 1