TATAat27

Very last day buck

Very hot hunt! My friends and I packed in for the first couple of days of the hunt and found quite a few bucks, but no shooters. We came off of the mountain saturday afternoon a little disappointed, but not ready to give up. Sunday morning we found a couple of bucks and one of my friends decided to take one, unfortuantely he guesstimated the yardage wrong and shot over him. Oh well, thats hunting I guess. <_< Monday and Tuesday were fruitless as well. Wednesday I decided to go back to work and started thinking about bowhunting in December. As the day went by, I started thinking about a spot I could go to after work just to give it one last go. 3:15 seemed to be too long to wait so I asked the boss for some time off. I left work at 1:30 and rushed out to my spot. Just as I was about to reach my destination I spotted the backside of a whitetail leaving the area just to my left. I ran up a little hill to see what it was and couldn't find anything. I listened quietly for a few moments and heard nothing. My gut feeling was that it had to be a buck. I grabbed my binoculars and tripod and began scanning the surrounding mountains and found nothing. About fifteen minutes later, I heard some noise to my left and there he was! He was trotting up a little hill and about to go over. I quickly grabbed my rifle recognizing that he was a good buck and fired. He disappeared behind a bush and that was the last I saw of him. Everything happened so quick and I knew I had placed a good shot considering the circumstances, but I was unsure If I had hit him or not. I raced up the opposite hill trying to get a better vantage point to where I last saw him. I still could not see him. I slowly made my way to the bush, trying to keep a good view of the area just in case he was still there. As I closed the distance, all kinds of thoughts were racing through my head, had I hit him? did I miss and he just ran over the other side and out of sight? I scanned the area as quick as I could, and there he was. The 115gr silvertip from my .25-06 had entered through his last few ribs on his left side and exited through his neck on the right. What a feeling! Here is a some pictures of him. What a last day buck! Thanks to all of you for your comments on what bullet to use on my new rifle, it sure took care of business! Rich.

post-1216-1194103777_thumb.jpg

post-1216-1194103797_thumb.jpg

post-1216-1194103936_thumb.jpg

what a way to end a hunt. Nice buck.

Congrats! Sure paid off not giving up! Just goes to show "Never Give Up!"

jimmya

Very NICE solid Coues buck!- Great story- way to go after it on the last day...

AzP&Y

Congradulations to my lil' brother(TATA@27)

All your dedicated scouting and sacrifice not only for yourself, but for your family and friends finally paid off with a fantastic buck. We really missed you at our camp this year, but I undersood that what you were doing was for the enjoyment of your son and close friends, and what better reason.... but in the service of others. Can't wait to see that buck hanging on the wall at your house, sure is a dandy!!

BERTZ

Can anyone guess what this one will score?

Very nice buck and story. Congratulations. Did your boss take some credit for the kill since he let you off early?