josh

Lion in a canyon

Hey guys just a question do you think a lion will spook the deer out of a canyon for an extended period of time? Especially the bucks. I can't believe it would unless the lion was living somewhere around there like a female with kittens maybe just curious. Thanks for any replies. Josh

One time wihile working on the NE side of the Galuiro's, I noticed that I was seeing a lot of whitetails up on an open grassy ridge. When I dropped off into the bottom, I found a dead Mule deer doe that had been completely eaten by a female lion and three large kittens judging by the tracks. Crossing over the ridge again and dropping into the next canyon, I saw more deer on the ridge in the open grassland, and found a lion killed calf in the bottom of the canyon. It was obvious that the deer had moved up into the open grassland to escape the lions that were prowling the area. Later rides in the area found the deer back in the brushy pockets and bottoms. So the short answer is yes, they do move back in, but I dont know how long after the lion moves out that they go back.

I don't think a lion spooks the deer out of a canyon for long. On my hunt this year there was a fresh set of lion tracks over our tracks from two days before and I shot my buck out of the same canyon the next day.

I had a camera on a spring out by my place this summer & was getting shots of a lion, javelina & deer hitting it during the same day. Also have some pics of the lion pouncing on smaller critters! Anyhow, that cats presence didn't seem to stop anything else from coming in.

Our little honey hole in 34A has a lion den in the bottom of it. There are deer parts all over the hill side and we continually pull big bucks out of there every year. (this year excluded)

I had a camera on a spring out by my place this summer & was getting shots of a lion, javelina & deer hitting it during the same day. Also have some pics of the lion pouncing on smaller critters! Anyhow, that cats presence didn't seem to stop anything else from coming in.
Dude, Post them pics of the lion and critter.....Please

You can't see what she's got, but base on the body position/posture, erect tail etc. looks to me like something just got pounced on. She was working the spring hard, back in July when it was so dry out.

post-1431-1194388783_thumb.jpg

post-1431-1194388807_thumb.jpg

post-1431-1194388821_thumb.jpg

post-1431-1194388869_thumb.jpg

The first 3 pics are hard to tell are you sure they are not pics of a Coatimundi? The camera looks to be in the same place and they look much smaller than the lion. Just a thought?Very cool pics.

Yep, thems Coati's. Very cool pics though! They must be after some frogs or snails or somethin' tastey like that ;)

Here's a coati at that same spring. Look at the tail & coat length/coloring. I blew those pics up 400% & studied them closely, as my GF & I had an argument going over them. I said coati, she said lion. She was right. On the third pic, when blown-up, you can see the cat's face through the grass.

post-1431-1194442026_thumb.jpg

Yep, thems Coati's. Very cool pics though! They must be after some frogs or snails or somethin' tastey like that ;)

I went back & looked at those pics more closely under magnification & I can definetely see a cat face in the one, but when compared to another pic I have of a javelina standing in the exact same spot, the cat is way too small to be a lion. I think we're both wrong. I think that's one of the jaguarundis that someone mentioned in the 'weirdest thing you've seen' thread. If you compare it to the pic of that coati, it's smaller, the coat is too short, & the coloring is wrong. Those things are really rare & listed as an endangered species.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/edits/documents/Herpyato.d.pdf

Here's a coati at that same spring. Look at the tail & coat length/coloring. I blew those pics up 400% & studied them closely, as my GF & I had an argument going over them. I said coati, she said lion. She was right. On the third pic, when blown-up, you can see the cat's face through the grass.

post-1431-1194442026_thumb.jpg

Does your GF win all the arguments! :lol: :lol:

This kinda stuff drives me crazy now I need to go play with the pics to see what I can see. One time I look and see Coati then the more I look maybe Lion. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: I'll be back!