Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Archery Bear/What if...

Guest oneshot

I have two main spots for archery Bear, both are in thicker brush/rolling terrain with very limited sight-lines, maybe 70yds max...

What is the process if a bear comes to the call,alone(as far as I can tell with limited sight-lines), I arrow the Bear and find out the Bear has cubs ie: I arrow a Bear that was alone, and as the Bear runs off, it is followed out of the kill-zone by cubs???

Catch the cubs and sell one to the traveling circus then sell other bear to the asian market???

^^^ Just kidding AZGF^^^^

When you check in a bear they can tell if it is lactating or not. It's one of the things they look for. I don't know how they'd prove that the cubs were actually present and still alive when the bear was taken though.

If there are 2 of you, have your partner shoot the cub, then you can legally shoot the sow, because she no longer has cubs...

• Like 1

That's a tough situation. I don't think you would be in any trouble, but I would probably call G&F to confirm that.

Guest oneshot

That's a tough situation. I don't think you would be in any trouble, but I would probably call G&F to confirm that.

Thats kinda what I was thinking, when they were to see the terrain they would be more understanding...

(last year watched a large Bear, traveling alone, on the otherside of a canyon crossing-over toward me and tried to get in front of "Him"... after "he" got past me, without offering a shot, I spotted more movement ahead, it was HER cubs, initial seperation was at least a mile...)

The only place I can locate in the regs what constitutes a legal bear is in the commission order, and it states "any bear except sows with cubs". If it is a sow and cubs are nearby, but out of sight, then it is still a sow with cubs, and would therefor not be legal wildlife. I'd expect a citation and a visit to the commission to plead your case to not have your hunting and fishing privileges revoked. I could see the game warden falling back on a core principle of hunting, knowing what your target is and what's beyond it, before taking a shot. If you don't know that your target is something other than a sow with cubs, you shouldn't take the shot. Not trying to sound like D***, but depending on who the officer is and their disposition that day, they might be.

• Like 2

I glassed up a bear last year. Fortunately I didn't have a gun, because the bear was alone for the first 10 minutes. After watching it for 10 minutes a cub walked into the open. If I would have had a gun I would have had plenty of time to shoot prior to seeing the cub. Needless to say I was EXTREMELY happy I didn't have my gun!

• Like 1

I glassed up a bear last year. Fortunately I didn't have a gun, because the bear was alone for the first 10 minutes. After watching it for 10 minutes a cub walked into the open. If I would have had a gun I would have had plenty of time to shoot prior to seeing the cub. Needless to say I was EXTREMELY happy I didn't have my gun!

You should be cited for not having a gun.
  • Like 4

I was helping a friend on a Jr cow hunt. His son had my gun.

You'd be screwed. The responsibility falls on you completely.

This. How could it be any other way???

Exactly.

There is no grey area in this law. It is black and white.

Sow without cubs. Period.

• Like 1