Maverick351

Sleeping bags

I've never used one, so I can't really recommend it but check out the Kelty Tuck 20. A little over 3 lbs, good reviews and lifetime warranty. I think you can find them online for $69.99

Probably 10 years ago I bought a $100 Slumberjack 0 degree and nearly hypothermically froze at about 10,000 feet while my buddy slept in a 0 degree North Face bag and told me he was sweating he was burning up...

Temp ratings are very subjective one brand to the next...so be careful of anything on a budget. You get what you pay for. Back then a good 0 or 20 degree bag was about $200. I'm not sure if things changed, but I'd be careful about getting anything that says it will handle those temps at $100...

$200, down, and a good name (Kelty, Marmot, whatever) and you should be comfy in very cold temps. Getting a good night's sleep is worth its weight in gold on a long, cold hunt.

I just got an email this morning from Sierra Designs. They have a sale on their Zissou 700 Down 15° bag. 50% off and free shipping. You can get that bad boy for $115 with coupon code "ENDISNEAR". Looks like a great bag for that price.

Here is the bag I picked up and intend to use for backpack hunting this year:

https://www.rei.com/product/110922/rei-co-op-magma-10-sleeping-bag-mens

It is the REI Magma 10. It is over your budget, but has an amazing warmth to weight ratio. At least for me, I would not want to skimp on a sleeping bag. Trying to sleep when you are cold absolutely sucks. A sleeping bag is something I would gladly pay a little extra for something that I know will perform as intended.

post-13685-0-93000900-1502553408_thumb.jpg

Ha Ha Ha a $100 0 deg bag doesn't exist. You will find this out if you buy one and freeze at 30 deg. Been there, done that. Don't skimp on your bag. it could save your life and at the very least prevent you from having a miserable trip. Staying up all night to tend a fire to say warm makes it hard to function the next day(s). Been there, done that too.

Sleeping bag religion, tent religion, optics religion and tire religion can be obtained the hard way by "saving money" purchasing cheap stuff, having a bad experience then replacing that gear with the right stuff, or listening to those of us who got religion the hard way. Method #2 is much less expensive. Wish I had done that.

• Like 2

Well thanks I believe I've found one. Asked on here because I'm not opposed to buying a used one and 100$ is what I can afford for now. I picked up a solid used bag. Thanks guys for the advice

Camofire has Klymit sleeping bags on sale right now 20 degree for 100 and 0 degree for 119. Not sure if its a good one or not but its there.

Well thanks I believe I've found one. Asked on here because I'm not opposed to buying a used one and 100$ is what I can afford for now. I picked up a solid used bag. Thanks guys for the advice

That's like sleeping in someone's used underwear

Good move Maverick351. A used quality bag is better than a new cheap bag. Put a liner in it if trphyhntr's comment bothers you. If it is synthetic, wash it. If down, hang it up for a few months in a nice dry cool place and you will be fine, just don't wash it.

Another option....rent. REI rents backpacking equipment for pretty cheap. It's a way to try before you buy.

Wonder what they'd do if I brought stuff back covered in hair and blood, smelling like a deer carcass.

You need to raise the bar on the girls you are dating...just saying

• Like 1