MathewQuigly

Decision help please

Got a new AR build going on and got a question, what caliber 6.8 spc or 6.5 Grendel?

This is a light weight hunting ( hogs,coues/mule deer etc) and self defense rifle (zombies).

Input would be great

I have been shooting a 6.8 for over 10 years and like it. I use it in a carbine for hunting where shots will be inside 300 yards. The main reason I chose the 6.8 over the 6.5 at the time was that the Grendel was a propriatery cartridge owned by Alexander Arms. They have since released the rights to the cartridge and it now a SAAMI listed cartridge. The here is not a huge difference between the two. Depending on the loads compared the SPC will often have a slight advantage in energy inside of 300 yards. as you move out to 400 yards and beyond the advantage will generally shift to the Grendel with it's higher BC bullets. Today if I were to build another carbine I would use the SPC, for a full size upper for longer range I would use the Grendel. I have been handloading 140 gr bullets in the SPC for years and it is possible to get over 2400 fps from a 16" barrel. I have never worked with a Grendel.

7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel.

I say 7.62x39 because ammo is cheap. It is like having a 300 blackout but being able to afford to shoot it.