Sign in to follow this  
Wingshooter28

Looking for a base camp tent

Looking to buy a good 4 season tent in the 8 person + size range.

I was looking at the cabelas web site recently and saw the Bighorn 2 for 650.00. I should of got it then I guess because I can't find it now. Anyway I'm looking for something in that size range that can be used with a stove.

Thanks

Bighorn 2 would be pretty cramped for 8 people. I would look at the Alaknak 12x20 or 13x27. I have the 12x20 and have no complaints, easy to set up, roomy and has a stove jack if you want to use a stove. Cabelas usually has a sale on them prior to deer season.

• Like 2

It would actually be for only me and the wife occasionally my daughter, that's why I want an 8 man for 3 people with cots, gear, stove etc.

That brings up a good point, why the heck can't tent makers have realistic numbers? Dude wants an 8 man for 3 people which is lagit math???

• Like 3

I have a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 and love it. You can't use a wood stove in it, but you can use the propane heater.

• Like 1

I also have the 10x14 but have only camped in it by myself. Very well made tent and not too hard for one person to setup.

• Like 1

I've got a 9.5x9.5 alaknak. It sets up in about 15 minutes. I would recommend next size up for 3 people. Nice tent and is compatible with wood stove

Got the 12x12 alaknak LOVE IT . great for the with cots table and wood stove throw on the vestibule and you set..

I have the Kodiak Canvas 10x14 as well. I love the tent. If you need a true 4 season tent get a wall tent with a stove. Otherwise the Kodiak is hard to beat.

Last time we had two adults and two kids in it, all in cots. It fit but it was a little tight.

During javelina season we had 3 adults in my 10x14 Kodiak. It wasn't bad at all. 4 adults is about the most that would be comfortable, but still be snug. 2 of the adults on this trip are larger than normal humans though so that is part of the reason it was snug. I am 6'4" 300lbs and sleep on an XL cot.

If you are normal size, and sleep in a bag on the ground you would probably have no issues with 4-5 people.

• Like 1

Went to Cabelas today after work and they had the 10 x 14 Kodiak and the 12 x 12 Alaknak set up in the grass area out front, noticed that the canvas tent seamed to be a little cooler than the nylon tent. Both really nice and would work well.

If you get the Kodiak pay the money for the one with the big side windows. I have the one in the middle with the top vents, but when I went camping when it was warm out I really wished I had gotten the model with the big side windows.

• Like 1

This model.

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-14-ft-flex-bow-vx-tent/

I bought mine on Amazon from the manufacturers site. The price was better than retail. I also bought a bunch of Amazon gift cards from frys to get fuel points. Even if the gift cards are only 2x points that is over a $1.00 off per gallon on fuel.

I got it during 4x points, and my truck will hold all 35 gallons of fuel. I saved $70 in diesel fuel from the gift card points.

• Like 2