Sign in to follow this  
mfernaz

6.5 Creedmoor Build

Well you're down to the part I hate, trying not to glue the action into the stock. Looks like you should be shooting soon. Good luck.

• Like 1

So if the action is pillar beaded why do anything more?

The pillars are just that, two small pillars of support. They keep the stock from compressing when the action bolts are tightned and also help keep the action bolt torque consistent. The bedding process literally molds the stock to the exact shape of the action. When the action can not shift around in the stock accuracy is increased.

• Like 5

So if the action is pillar beaded why do anything more?

My bad, I misunderstood your question before. Provides 100% contact between the action and the bedding block/stock, which coincides with what 300RUM stated.

• Like 1

So it came apart!!! Trimmed up the bedding, and torqued down the rifle action. Lapped and bedded scope rings.

post-14082-0-66209600-1507131947_thumb.jpg

Scope leveled and torqued

post-14082-0-85002800-1507132154_thumb.jpg

As you can see i have two boxes of Hornady Precision Hunter 143 Grain ELD-X for break in, I won't have enough time for load development. Going to shoot tomorrow will post some bullet holes then.

• Like 1

Well I'd consider myself and expert at cleaning rifles now. This was the first time I've "broken in" a barrel, long process. 17 rounds, lots of patches, and hours later.

Shoot, then clean, shoot, clean, shoot......

post-14082-0-01337800-1507315851_thumb.jpg

Clean

post-14082-0-69013900-1507315498_thumb.jpg

Here is my 5 shot group at 100 yards

post-14082-0-10942300-1507315895_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert shooter by any means, but I wasn't to happy with the factory ammo I was shooting, even though it shot a .6" group, without the flyer would have been .4." I just keep seeing Fred's target with his 6.5 in my head that measured 1/8." But back to the ammo, had very inconsistent velocities with a 100 FPS spread, but averaged 2700 FPS. It'll work for hunting season but can't wait to get load development started.

• Like 3

Congratulation, keep up the good work.

Looks like its going to be a great Coues rifle.

• Like 1

Lapua cases, CCI BR primers, 43.8 grains of IMR4831, 143 grain ELD-X, shooting 1/2 inche @100 yards. 2870 fps. Don't have a target to post, but going out here soon, will post then.

• Like 1

is that hydro dip durable?

• Like 1

That looks sharp. And the best thing is it is all you. Congrats on a great build. Do you mind sharing roughly what you have into it doing it this way?

• Like 1