Sign in to follow this  
AZ8

Halftime report

First off, congrats to all that have filled their tags so far. Enjoyed reading all the stories here on CWT!

Well, I'm getting in the red zone, but just can't get across the goal line for a variety of reasons. But I'm still trying. I'm in bulls every morning, chasing them until they go silent. They are not responding to my cow calls, so I'm going in stealth mode now and heading to their bugles. Usually miles of random zig zags as I'm following them.

Friday morning I had a nice 6x6 broadside, but his range was beyond my limit. I'm good to 40, so not going to chance it. I have to admit, I had my 40 yard pin on him and was quickly doing some redneck rifleman's rule in my head, but my pin was moving and bobbing as if I was drunk. So I passed and just enjoyed the moment. :)

Afternoons and evenings have been hit or miss. Usually they are coming into water after shooting light is gone. With one exception, I've sat from 10-dark, 2-dark, 4-dark with no luck.

With that, if I had one theme to describe my first week, is wind! The wind has been crazy. I feel like I'm on a Spring turkey hunt. Tuesday felt like hurricane force winds....crazy.

So back in town today to take care of some personal business, have a nice hot shower and one good nights rest in my own bed before I head out tomorrow to finish off the season.

Having a great time chasing bugles!

Fourth and goal.....can I finish it? Next Thursday I'll know.

Good luck to everyone still chasing.

Patience is bitter, but it's fruit is sweet. - Aristotle

• Like 7

keep going and have a positive attitude good luck

+1

It only takes a minute for a tough hunt to turn into one of the best days of your life. And the more minutes you spend in the field the better your chances of finding that one lucky moment.

If you'll take some advice from a stranger, I say skip that night at home and get your butt back out there. ;)

• Like 2

My bet is after you take that day off you will return more enthusiastic and ready to go. Good luck.

• Like 7

Yeah, I'd love to be out there, but family obligations have priority. My 86 year father is in late stage Alzheimer's and what little he still has left, he lights up and enjoys my visits. I want no regrets..........

• Like 13

As with most hunts in AZ, the 2nd half is usually better. People clear out, weather cools off and the rut usually intensifies. Keep at it! Good luck

• Like 4

I have seen good bulls almost every time I have left camp. This morn I saw 8 total plus but none are shooters for me. I came close on 2 nice bulls so far (6x6 and 6x7) and missed a dream bull 2 nights ago. That one will haunt me for a long time. I left 2 herds bedded this morn and they were getting pretty fiesty (finally) this morn. None of the bulls I've seen with this group are shooters for me (yet) but I know there's 1 or 2 big bulls hanging on the fringes of these herds waiting to take over. The wind has been rough for sure. I had 15 cows come into the tank I was sitting last night with no mature bull in the last 15 mins of light.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'd love to be out there, but family obligations have priority. My 86 year father is in late stage Alzheimer's and what little he still has left, he lights up and enjoys my visits. I want no regrets..........

as important as hunting is there are still things that are more important. Last year my partner had to abandon his Bighorn sheep hunt because his mother was found unresponsive and rushed to the ER. Go see your father then go get yourself a big bull. When you come back you can tell him the story and hopefully it'll make him light up.
  • Like 4

A day off can be a good recharge. I have killed, seen kills more in the second half than in the first. Its nearly impossible to keep up with elk going away from you. Figure out where they're going and be there ahead of them, waiting....usually a bedding area.

• Like 1