Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Pressure Signs Early/Well before MAX *AND W/Factory Ammunition*

Different bullets do different things for sure.

I found out this weekend that 120gr Hornady GMX in 6.5x55 cause higher pressure then 127gr Barnes LRX bullets with the same weight of powder. 

The 127gr at 45gr of H4350 were showing slight pressure signs.

The 120gr GMX blew out primers at the same weight. 

The weird part was 44gr has slight pressure signs. 45gr made the primer popped. 

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Isn't the head space set on a Savage by the barrel nut? Any chance that has moved?

Yes it is and I don't believe that's an issue. My poor headspace measurement earlier in the thread was because of the extruding primer. Once I popped it out, I am only getting .001" growth on the fired case after neck sizing. The 2.119" of the reloads match the factory brass as well.

20180827_203750.thumb.jpg.c5143136c5294b06ddba6a4122cff1b4.jpg

20180827_203830.thumb.jpg.c54339ffc87cf39adca44fd30fbb4700.jpg

I'm not sure how to be certain without the Go/NoGo gauge but it appears to be in spec.

1535427727912955312689370687426.thumb.jpg.52ab7c56a4b7635b8f79ea0c7d659b2a.jpg

This rifle has several hundred rounds through it and the brass today matches this case from my elk in 2010.

15354280123684966950021471044623.thumb.jpg.f5550a16682c70a76b1bb6fe1c729796.jpg

I have magnum go/no go gauges if you need them. They are here somwhere.

4 minutes ago, 452b264 said:

I have magnum go/no go gauges if you need them. They are here somwhere.

I have some family stuff going for a few days but I would appreciate that very much later this week. I'll send you a PM when my schedule clears. Thank you!

My OCD's are kicking in why this gun will shoot one bullet, but not the other. I checked the latest Nosler manual and there is nothing listed for R-23 or H-1000. If you got your data from another bullet, that might or might not work. Do you have any of the powders listed?

0829181805.jpg

On 8/27/2018 at 6:28 PM, win71 said:

Disagree,Bumping back the shoulder increases headspace. I never ever set shoulders back for that very reason and don't understand why anyone would add headspace. The difference in go and nogo gauges is only .004. The shoulder neck juncture is the holy grail when developing super accurate bench guns doesn't seem it would be any different for what you guys are doing. I have also noticed that Nosler brass has less capacity than say Winchester or Remington. Could be your problem

Dan

Take a no-go gauge to the gun store and put it in factory rifles. With a number of them the bolt will close on it. The rifle is considered in specification until it closes on a field gauge which is 0.010 over the Go gauge. In a meticulously clean bench gun you can run zero headspace and just neck size with an occasional shoulder bump. If you try that with hunting rifle you are more likely to end up with a stuck case. A real tight chamber to round fit and just a little bit of dirt equals trouble.

• Like 1

RL23 is a new powder that isn't listed in many books yet. The load data isnt specific to the Nosler AB but the online consensus for it matched the published data I used.

Screenshot_20180829-183811_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7beb183b23daf5da5320542b7bc9ee77.jpg

H1000 has data for the Nosler Partition in 160 gr. I mentioned this in the OP and also researched the online consensus before loading.

Screenshot_20180829-183945_Chrome.thumb.jpg.92410ad5b76cbf6b65c971ad032ae168.jpg

Also, I'm still completely stumped on these factory rounds! I didn't mention it yet, but this occurred in two different boxes of factory Accubonds.

Maybe it's just time to give up and buy a bow.

Update:

Particularly after I found my ejector stuck inside the bolt, I called Savage and they asked me to send in the rifle for repair. No question asked, they polished the chamber and repaired the bolt of an 11 year-old rifle at no cost. The rifle passed their testing and is on its way home. A huge nod up to Savage Customer Service!

I'll report back after my next shoot. 

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I did not want to throw Nosler under the bus but it is the only bullet that has shown pressure in the rifle. It also shot 4 MOA at 100 so it wasn't just cosmetic on the case. 

I've been reloading for a while, but when I got into the belted magnums - I too had issues. This is a good thread, I've learned alot from your questions/answers. Also looks like I need to purchase some more tools to measure shoulder growth. I've checked my  stock and re-barreled rifles with go/no go belted magnum gauges - all pass.

Then there is this question of setting the head space off the shoulder on belted magnums - I do not understand that argument.

BTW All my rifles are Savage.  stock barrels and criterion