Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Mount Hanging Tips?

Please do not risk that mount or anything below it on drywall alone!!! If you have the skills to kill an animal like that, you should have the creativity and smarts to get it to hang securely on a wall.. Let the singing bass fall off the wall, not that mount.

Got it hung on a stud not too far off center. Per Clay at Mogollon Taxidermy 1, 3/8, 3 1/2" lag bolt sticking 1/2" out will hold the mount. The plywood backing had a mounting hole reinforced with metal that the head of the lag slips into. Feels solid. Will post pic in my original thread recapping the hunt. Thx for the tips

If you have 5/8ths plywood under the drywall on you entire trophy wall, like me, you don't need to find studs with you lag bolts. Anywhere will do.

That looks great. By the way with a stud finder on deep cycle you can find the studs. I just moved and had to mount two bulls, a mule deer and coues deer on a wall with plywood over the studs. Got everyone of them the first time. I pre drill the holes so I don't split the studs due to the width of the bolts.

• Like 1

Mount looks great. When I picked up my antelope, the taxidermist told me it's not the weight pulling down along the wall like a big picture/mirror that you worry about, but the leverage pulling out from the wall due to the size of the mount and distance out from the wall. Makes perfect sense, but had never thought about it that way.

All this talk about plywood backed walls reminds me of college...had problems with drunks punching holes in the bathroom drywall at the fraternity house. Plywood backed walls solved that and probably broke some hands in the process. :D

If you are building a trophy room sheath it in 23/32 inch OSB or plywood and you can mount anything wherever you want.

Without it, I always try to find a stud. I have a few smaller mounts on those 75lb drywall anchors, but I try to avoid it if possible.