Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Mount Hanging Tips?

Just got my first ever mount back yesterday, 1/2 life size sheep, and looking for any tips for a clean/safe way to put him on the wall from you with experience. It's ply wood backed.

Drive a big lag into a stud. Do not attempt to hang it on a drywall anchor.

• Like 3

I would hang it just like they did at the clinic on that plywood.....except like Greyghost said use a lag bolt and put it in a stud deep.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I was still in elk camp when he got picked up at the banquet so I didn't get to see how it was mounted. Hopefully I have a stud or 2 in the right spot

Like others have said, I would use a big 3-4 inch lag bolt deep in the stud for your ram or anything on the larger side (larger than a deer shoulder mount). A full grown man could swing from this setup.

For anything deer shoulder mount size and smaller you would be fine with some heavier dry wall anchors if there isn't a stud where you want to hang it. For example, my 6x6 bull uses a lag bolt, and I have several deer (mule and Coues) and antelope on 75 pound dry wall anchors. My heaviest deer mount is about 15 pounds.

post-6408-0-97388500-1506374853.jpgpost-6408-0-03464100-1506374860.jpg

I had a mule deer in a toggle anchor and a neighbor boy hit it with a ball seemed to be stable but a month later it fell off the wall and broke the skull cap...everything gets studs now...

I had a mule deer in a toggle anchor and a neighbor boy hit it with a ball seemed to be stable but a month later it fell off the wall and broke the skull cap...everything gets studs now...

I already have nightmares about this exact thing happening with my kids. You aren't helping. :(

• Like 1

I've never had to worry about my own kids but the neighbors kids have destroyed the face on a bobcat rug and dropped soccer balls on mule deer mounts, and broke all kinds of antlers.

Had the same thing. Happen to my mule deer. There was a book case under it, so I thought the cat was jumping on it and knocked it down. I moved the book. See so kitty could not reach it and a couple months later it was back on the floor anyway.

As already stated: STUD!

If there isn't one in the right place then mount it somewhere else. Save yourself a heart ache (and your kitty a trip to the humane society for a crime he didn't commit).

• Like 1

Not sure how you will find a stud with a plywood backed wall. Stud finder won't work. Might have to just start feeling around with a small drill bit I guess as I'm not even sure you could pound a small nail into plywood well enough to feel a stud. I have a moose head and an elk head that are hung on plywood as our house is SIP panels and all walls are plywood with drywall over them. They are rock solid but my taxidermist uses a special bracket he makes out of metal that will take 4 screws and the mount locks onto it.