Sign in to follow this  
Bucks N Bulls

Bugles in 9

So up here for wifes muzzy tag. Not much for bugling that i can tell. I talked with a couple bowhunters and they said bugling was minamal as well. Was just wondering if anyone has been here and has heard more or knows someone that has or hasn't. Wife had an early rifle tag in 2012. We scouted hard and the day before the hunt started we had to leave do to my brothers death. This year she drew the muzzy tag and thought about time she gets to go. Well was planning on being here last week and then my brittany came down with severe pancreatitus and giardia and was in icu for 4 days at the vet. Didn't think she was gonna make it and so looked into donating the tag. My wife and i stayed with her all day and night in shifts. So was thinking she would not get to hunt again. Well she was released after the 4th day on monday with a feeding tube. Wife being a nurse was able to feed and give meds through tube. Tuesday she was up and rambunctious. We took her to vet and they did blood tests and revealed a clean bill of health with some recovery time. Green light and packed up and God willing we are at camp as of yesterday afternoon. So finally she will get to hunt. Drove around all night listening and heard a few but not what i was expecting. So thought i would see what others have encounterd the last 2 weeks as far as bugling goes. Sorry for the long read,But 2 nightmares in a row for her tags. So hopefully she will be successful. If not at least we are in the woods elk hunting and my dog is almost fully recoverd.she is here with us by the way and one of my 2 grown kids will stay with her at camp.

• Like 1

An early rifle and a early muzzleloader tag in unit 9 5 years apart? She's using up all her luck in the draw so that's why other stuff is going wrong. Kidding but sounds like she'll atleast get to hunt this year. Things further south in 3c this week have slowed down big-time as well so not sure what's going on. Moon is filling back up might get them going in.

Have seen elk get quieter when they have their cows all secure and moved them away from other bulls. They don't want to give away their position if they have plenty of cows. They will sound off though if another bull gets too close or his cows start splitting up. Is a sign the elk numbers in unit 9 are too low. Not enough younger bulls to cause problems for the big guys.

If bugling is bad I would look for larger groups of cows on the edge of clearings and on travel corridors to trick tanks. Basically every group should have a bull with them right now. With a muzzleloader, spot and stalk is going to work well.

The last 3 days have been incredible in my part of 3c. Lots of bulls broke this week..,

Break those bulls up so they don't get broke before my hunt. Just kidding. I saw that once before where they were rutting unbelievably hard. It was awesome beyond words.

I archery hunted 9 and tagged out.. The bugling was pretty minimal. There was some on opening day and Saturday morning but then it got quiet. Still was able to chase some bugles in the morning from 5am to 8 am ish just gotta hike some. I could hear bulls fighting though and bugling a lot the first couple of days.. I killed my bull around 8:30 am.. I hunted right by Tusyan on the east side..

• Like 1

Just got back from 9. Bugles were minimal after day 6. The rain and snow on Wednesday shut everything up. Did not fill my tag, but had several opportunities at smaller bulls. PM sent with where I had found the best activity.

Well got into them pretty good this am. Had a ouple oppertunities that just didnt work out. Really tbick in places and things in the way but was awesome bugling and rutting action. 2 bulls faught all morning. 3 bulls were pretty good. All bugles stopped around 730 8 just like you said phil beavers.

• Like 1

Well got into them pretty good this am. Had a ouple oppertunities that just didnt work out. Really tbick in places and things in the way but was awesome bugling and rutting action. 2 bulls faught all morning. 3 bulls were pretty good. All bugles stopped around 730 8 just like you said phil beavers.

Yup sounds about right.. First two days of archery they were bugling until noon. But from Sept 17th-20th they were only bugling before first light all the way through 8:30 am ish