IA Born

Daughter's First Elk

Outstanding! Quite a delicious looking trophy for the young hunter. Congratulations to you both.

Congrats to your Daughter, that is awsum.

too the dad. hunting with a daughter is an absolute blast. time runs out really fast 10-17. This year I realized my daughter is not a little girl anymore and will be off to college soon.its going to really suck.

we have a ton of fun when hunting. and she is hard core. Daughters are more hardcore and determined than boys there age when it comes to hunting. they just dont stop they keep on going. I was surprised the last 7 years i havent had a heart attack yet and can still keep up with her. we always have fun.

My father always took me hunting/fishing when I was young till he passed away 6 years ago. best times of my life aside from hunting with my kids was hunting with my Father even if we didnt get anything. I know he felt that way as well as he told me. even when we had arguments we still hunted/ fished together he never ONCE didnt forget to ask me if I wanted to go. I do the same with my daughter , she gets all my tags if she doesnt draw her own till I cant legally sign them over to her anymore.

Keep it up as it will put a smile on your face every time you see someone else post about there daughter or son hunting. I am buried at work and will be here till 10pm came in to have a cig ,do some programming and clicked this website . your post made my day. .

Congrats again to you and your Daughter!

Thanks for all the words and support. We're still rolling in excitement. I just spoke to our taxidermist, and he officially scored at 286 5/8". He's deceptively small, but we don't really care. He was well earned and a great trophy!

Now for a weekend of soccer. If you're near Red Mountain Park, look us up. We'll be there Saturday afternoon, Saturday nigjt, and Sunday morning.

Congratulations on a nice elk, what gun is she shooting?

Its Savage Axis youth model in 7mm-08. It's the original style from 4-5 years ago. I intended to get her a decent enough entry level rifle, but it is wicked accurate with hand loads, and she doesn't want to upgrade to a better quality rifle. The factory trigger was horrible, so I had a Timney trigger installed three years ago and it's at 3lbs. After last deer season, we had it cerakoted. She picked the blue. This summer, my gunsmith up here talked me into putting a Boyd's custom wood stock on it to replace the cheap factory stock. She picked the thumbhole style and color. He bedded and floated it. I paid the $25 extra for the laser-engraved elk. It's quite a bit heavier, so I have to help carry it once in a while, but she's worth it! Syd says it's now her dedicated elk rifle and her other 7mm-08 (Weatherby Vanguard youth) is now her deer rifle. I'm doomed!