IA Born

Daughter's First Elk

It's 3:30 am and I can't sleep. I can't sleep, in part, because I'm still on elk hunting time and this is wake-up time, and I can't sleep because my mind keeps replaying the awesomeness of the last 24 hours. I'm still at a loss for words in the pride I have for our amazing daughter. Yesterday morning at 6:13 am, she filled her elk tag. After three long days in Unit 1, including 20 miles of hiking in some very rugged terratin at 9,000-feet elevation, with a 20-lb pack, carrying a rifle, and a missed bull on opening morning, we only hiked a mile from the truck on Day 4 to fill her first elk tag and harvest her first bull!

We got on the herd shortly after shooting light, but got busted because of bad winds. We knew the area and, therefore, knew the likely end route, so we moved "at elk speed" to cut them off. As we were getting to our planned rally point, we popped out of the trees to see a good bull standing about 150 yards away and perfectly broadside. We got set up quickly and he dropped at the first shot! There was much to celebrate and how I held in the tears is beyond me. Then I explained to Syd that the real work begins. We had no phone reception where we were, which meant we couldn't get ahold of our friends who offered to drive the hour to us to help out. It was just the two of us. Syd did an amazing job of helping me field dress her elk, never complaining about the mess or hard work. She even took a quick minute to help me tighten a make-shift bandage when I managed to slice off a chunk of my thumb (stupid Havalon; still love it though). After the mile hike back to the truck with the first load of meat, Syd helped me navigate a tricky spot on the two-track road we were parked on, and then used my GPS to figure out the two-track went right up to her elk! He was likely the satellite bull we saw, but neither of us really care about his score. We'll find out for our own edification, but it doesn't really matter; she earned every inch of those antlers and every pound of meat. The cape is beautiful and will look great hanging on the wall.

The meat is at the processor and the head is at the taxidermist. Syd experienced every high and low a hunter (especially an elk hunter) can experience on this hunt, and she never gave up. We were in elk every day, and set up for multiple opportunities. I saw a young woman who believed in herself, who was determined, and willing to go the extra mile to achieve her goal. We both learned valuable lessons and to trust each other's instincts and training even more. I know now to let her make the judgement of whether or not she can make a tricky shot. She's not the 10-year old novice; she's the 13-year old who is currently the only person I've taught to shoot better than I can. We are both excited for our next big hunt together, even though we don't know when or where that will be; however, I can tell you that there are major plans for next year's elk and deer seasons!

In the short-term, I will be heading to the doctor this morning to get my thumb professionally looked at and cleaned. I'm thankful for all of my first-aid training over the years, but I'm not messing around on this one. I ended up with four total cuts on both hands and a big chunk missing from my left thumb (still love my Havalon!). Seeing Sydney's face and watching her reactions was worth it all.

post-4869-0-93314800-1507031023_thumb.jpg

post-4869-0-12091900-1507031074_thumb.jpg

post-4869-0-76530200-1507031186_thumb.jpg

• Like 31

What a great story. Those stories and memories can never be taken. The best times i have had in the woods are with my kids and he is just now old enough to hunt. Sounds like a great time, a father with his daughter in the field doing what they love. What a blessing to be able to harvest an animal on top of that. Congrats to you and your daughter and family. What a great bull. She will always have that memory

A very well deserved congratulations to the young lady , memories to last a lifetime for the young hunter and her proud father . Good job !

YES!!!!! I echo Shedhunteraz & azpredator@work's comments! There is absolutely NO greater joy than hunting with your kids, IMO! None!

So very awesome for you and your little lady! Very cool, indeed!!

S.

:)

That's awesome! Congrats to her. I too cut myself a couple times now I have cut resistant gloves for me and the kids. I just throw them in the wash afterwards and they go back in the pack. I think they were like $10 on amazon.

• Like 1

That is awesome! Nothing like your kids being successfull and the smiles Nd memories it brings. Congratulations. Also get the havalon deal. Seem to lose a piece of something everytime. Lol!

Awesome!!! Great memories for sure. Great bull too. And not just for a first! If that 6x6 was a satellite bull, the herd bull must have been gigantic. That is a great lesson with your kids too.

Don't worry about the cuts. I have only field dressed one animal I didn't become a blood brother with. Brings you closer to your game and nature.

• Like 1