Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Anyone hunting with new firearms this season?

Since I succumbed to temptation Monday and gave Ruff's,the local gun shop, some profit $$$, I was wondering if anyone else is going to head to the hills with a new rifle or try a new chambering on coues.

Earlier this spring, I was told the gun shop had a Kimber 8400 with French walnut and ebony forend, chambered in 300 WSM, on order from the custom shop. They called Monday afternoon and I was drawn in by sins of the woody flesh :ph34r: . I'm a sucker for curvaceous wood. I'll head to the range Saturday and give ya'll a report and let ya know if she's more than a looker.

Doug/RedRabbit

Keep us updated, I shoot alot of Kimber .45's but haven't shot a kimber long gun, been thinking about getting one when i get out of dental school. mabe sooner, if I can talk my wife out of a new washing machine and dryer, :ph34r: (yeah right)

Guest Ernesto C

Doug I have a friend that he's A Kimber fun,all his rifles are Kimber.Sometimes when we go to the shooting range together he lets me try his rifles.They are really good looking rifles I really like them but to me they are a little pricey.He has a 223 matched with a Shepherd scope with reticles,what a set up, he takes it every time we go predator calling.On his other rifles he has Leupold scopes.Like a said before they are really good looking rifles.

Let us know how you like it,have fun.

Ernesto C.

I am currently having the old 270 worked over.

A model 721 I got for a birthday present (back in '62 or so).

It's killed lots of game. Some big bucks.

I am having it shortened (rust in the end) by 2 inches and parkerized and T-coated and mounted on a synthetic stock. It will be wearing a Nikon scope.

Hope to have it back by the second week of November and maybe I will get to try it out on a Sitka Blacktail before a Coues buck dies from it in December.

Edited by muskeg

i have a old 721 in 270 also. it has been in the safe for a while, this year it is wearing a new scope and will get to be the back up gun, this gun has some ral character to it, has a nice scratch from when my grandpa had in on a moose hunt in i dont remember where but he had it right next to his leg and a bear came in camp and scared the horses. the horses hoof laid about a 6-7" cut in the stock instead of my grandpas leg, this gun is my favorite gun that we own, and is irrplacable to my father and i.

I am shelving the trusty old 30-06 this year in favor of a .300 WSM, trying for a little more power at longer range. Should be interesting. If I could only make fur fly like I make dirt fly I would be in good shape. AG

That purty wood will get you every time!

Nothing new for me, this year at least. I keep thinking about a new rifle in 300WSM To replace my 30-06 "mule" but then I take it to the range and the groups it shoots make me smile every time!! :D !! It is a bit beat up even for a syn stock but it does its part, now all I need to do is hold up my end.

I am working on the "new" still, I got the bino bug and there is a pretty good deal on Pentax 10x42s at Popular. All i need to do is sell my old binos down in Mexico for good money like I did my spotting scope I might be able to pull it off.

Isn't it funny how our hunting equipment always need to be "upgraded"

:ph34r:

I'm taking my son out in the morning for the junior deer hunt in unit 27. He has a new Winchester Super Shadow chambered in the 270 WSM. It really smokes!!! We were out yesterday shooting and he nailing the target clear out to 500 yards! I'm thinking this may be my next Coues caliber. That bullet was zipping out there an average of 3322 fps with factory loads. I'll let y'all know how the hunt goes.

Scott

Does anyone have any pet loads for the .300 WSM? Pretty new to the gun and am still deciding which loads I am sticking with for the hunt. Will be using 150 gr SP BT as far as bullets go

AG

Hey Scott, which factory ammo are you using to get 3300 fps + out of that 270 wsm. I've checked online with Winchester and Federal and neither list their loads breaking the 3300 fps mark? Were you shooting it through your own chrono or are those the numbers published by the manufacturer? Pretty impressive!

Guest Ernesto C

AALLEELLUUYYAAA look who's here;hey Scott welcome back buddy long time not hearing from you :ph34r: good luck on your hunt.Blessings.

Ernesto C.

Doc,

For bullets, I have been pretty impressed with Nosler's new Accubond for accuracy and performance. In regard to bullet weight, I decided to stick with the 180 grainers over the faster 150's. The 150's will drop a few inches less, but will also drift in the wind a few inches more than the 180's. I think judging wind is harder than distance (especially with rangefinders) and wanted the advantage fighting the wind.

These are the loads I found my 300 WSM prefers. It did not like loads with the 150 or 165 SST's nor Interbonds, nor Winchester factory 150 BST.

1) 180 Swift Scirocco, 65.0 IMR 4350, 215M, 2.850"

2) 180 Nosler Accubond, 68.0 H4831SC, 215M, 2.850"

3) 200 Nosler Accubond, 61.0 H4350, 215M, 2.846"

4) 180 Sierra SPBT, 69.1 RL 19, 210M, 2.790"

The col was limited by the length of the magazine box to a max of 2.850" in my rifle.

The above loads are safe in my gun, and should be approached with caution-reduce the loads and work up,SOP.

I am going to try Federal factory ammo with 180 Accubonds in the above rifle and also in the new French Madamoiselle this weekend. Maybe the French gal will like the 150 grain Hornady SST Interbonds.

Doug/RedRabbit

Doug,

I had not thought of trying the 180 grain spbt for decreased wind drift, do you have any idea what kind of velocity you are getting with them? I am shooting a TIkka T3, the magazine does limit length on that rifle as well. Thanks AG

I will be taking out my new rem. mountain LSS .260 coues hunting in 36b this november this will be this rifles first hunt , Hopefully I will find one of the bucks I have been watching . couesstalker

couesstalker, what kind of scopd did you mount a-top that bauty? how is it shoting for you? my same gun in 30-06 seems to like the 165 and 180 grain bullets over the faster, lighter 125and 150 grainers.