Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Anyone hunting with new firearms this season?

Doc,

The 180 grain loads have chronoed from 2980-3000 fps out of a 26" tube. The 200 is not maxed, about 2800 fps, but great accuracy. Yes, l was surprised at the advantages of the 180's over the 150's after looking at a ballistics program.

CouesStalker,

I also have that rifle in 260. Took it loaded with 129 Hornady SST's the last hunt in 36C, but saw nothing to pull the trigger on. Nice rifle-light, handles well, looks good-enjoy yours on the hunt.

Doug/RedRabbit

I will be taking my new Rem.700sendero sf 300ultra mag with 6-18-50 Swarovski TDS 150 Scirocco's. By the way it has a muzzlebrake on it so if any of you are in 36a Oct. hunt,and you hear an atomic bomb go off its probally just me.Come on over an say hi.Good luck to all new or old trusty weapons.

TAM, I was using my own chronograph. I chrono'ed 7 shots the highest was 3422 and the lowest was 3272 with the average being 3322. They are Winchester ballistic silvertip 130 grn. I hope to find out in morning just what kind of medicine they are for our beloved Coues deer.

Scott

Thanks Scott. A buddy of mine just purchased a Tikka .270 WSM for our December coues hunt in unit 31 and he'll probably be shooting those same rounds. It's good to know you're actually getting higher velocities than Winchester claims on their website. Most of the time the loads seem to under perform compared to what the manufacturer advertises. You'll have to let us all know how they work on your sons hunt.

Good luck!

Casey, I put a leupold 3.5 -10 x50 mm vari-x 111 on the .260. I also had a trigger job done and had the barrel floated.Iam going to send back the scope after my deer hunt due to a small black spot next to the upper half of the vertical crosshair. I noticed you drew a november 36B tag also where are you going to hunt? I hunt a couple of different places. If you see a stock 1998 indigo blue x-tra cab chevy stop by and say hello. CouesStalker

thays weird thats the same scope that i have on my rifle, do you have the stainless? my dad and i will probably be hunting near tank, it is a really big area and that is where i shot my first deer. every time that we go there we see some bucks so i think that were going to spend (depending obviously) about 5 days hunting there. are other spot is a place called, thats where i shot my deer last year.

Those 7mm ultra mags are sweet guns! my dad has the RMEF edition 700 bdl.they have bery impressive ballastics, but the ammo is expensive.

I drive a 1988 ford f-150, white with a blue camper shell, as i stated earlier, there will be two 130" bucks hangin in a tree, stop on by and say hello, theres always cold beer.

I was able to take the French lady out for a romp in the woods Saturday morning :unsure: . I had fed her about ten break-in shots with cleaning in between rounds, then tried out Federal factory loadings with 180 grain Accubonds. I got three consecutive 3-shot groups that measured 1.25" with an average velocity of 3070 fps. I did not try any other loadings. One thing I did notice is that the recoil is noticeably higher in the lighter Kimber rifle (total weight with scope and mounts of 8 lbs even on the fish scale).

Last night, I reloaded some different 150 grainers on top of some H4350. Bullets are the Hornady SST Interbonds, Swift Sciroccos, and Barnes TSX's. Wanted to shoot again this morning, but it's windy and raining on-n-off :( .

Doug/Red Rabbit

Once again I will be packing the Rem. Model 700 stainless/synthetic 300 Ultra Mag.

Great coues medicine! I normally use the 180gr. scirocco but we worked up a load with some 130gr sierras that are smokin. 3600+fps. I will be hunting 36B this month we camp near arivaca lake so if you see a 2004 chevy Z71 dark gray stop by. Good luck to everyone.

Eric

i'll be using my same 55+ year old .270, with a 25 year old scope on it. actually, i think the rifle is like about 58 years old. whatever. it's old. but just like me, it's still good lookin' and shoots straight. Lark.

Couesstalker,

The 260 Rem has 129 grain Hornady SST's loaded atop IMR 4350 @ 2770 fps. It penetrated completely through the rib/lung area on an antelope. Other game-unproven loads are 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips atop H4350 @2920 fps, and 95 grain Hornady V-max's atop IMR 4064 @3060 fps (real accurate) for yotee-dogs.

Doug/RedRabbit

well, after shoting with doug(redrabbit) this weekend i am extremly tempted to carry my also 50+ year old .270 as it outshot my 30-06 by leaps and bounds. one thing that was weird, is saturday, the scope was shooting 3 inches high at 100, then today(sunday) it was shooting dead on bullseye at 100 kinda weird huh doug? thats why i think that the simmons Aetec that is on it is bad and wanted to put the Alpen on it. i was shooting federal premium 140 gr. accubonds at an average of 2837, with the high being 2935 and the low being 2783 with the average group being 3/4". while the federal premium high energy tbcc, shot at an average of 2928, high being 2948, low 2815 groups between 2 inches(out of the 30-06), and 1/2 inch so i am un decided should i take out grandpas old rifle, and kill one for him, or the rifle that has cost me a arm and a leg that has the nice glass and expensive(er) bullets? doug and i also found a elk load, winchester supreme 180 grain accubonds, 2521 fps and 3/4 inch groups Doug you think i should take the .270??? especially now that it is clean???

Edited by firstcoueswas80

Casey,

I'd use the 270 (Lark would agree). And maybe put a Sims slip-on pad over that steel butt plate, although you won't feel the recoil when shooting that rifle at a coues, just when practicing. I thought the 140 Accubonds shot better than both the TBBC and Accubonds out of the 30-06 You could also remove that hard rubber pad off the Remington and use the slipon. We also have next weekend to shoot/practice.

I don't think the Aetec is going south, considering the last group we got. A lot is how the rifle is held and the stock pressured by our body. If it was the scope, it'd be like the 30-06 with the loose screws.

well i just got the nod from Home Depot for a part time J O B (20-25) hours in the hardware department, but dont worry, this wont interfear with my hunting, i already told them i need it of, so Doug, i might not be able to shoot next weekend, depends on how the work schedule is, i have orentitaion tomorrow and well see how it goes.