Non-Typical Solutions

Border/Mexico Regulation

I didn't want to hijack another thread but the Sonoran post regarding vehicle requirements/information was pretty mind boggling to me!

It would appear that it is more difficult to roam around free Mexico than it is the profiling American standard?

Why is there so much blow back on the USA for showing interest in enforcing laws that are already in the books when other countries have much stricter "laws"?

After reading this post about what I can take and how I can take it, I am sure I would end up in a Mexican prison for some violation!!!

I mean really....no capes with ticks but hey, let the pot smuggling mule trains come right on through!!!

Ernesto thanks so much for trying to help us understand some of the new regulations for taking vehicles into Mexico.

We should use this post to help everyone that is going down to Mexico this season. Please feel free to add comments if you have concrete info.

1. Vehicles have to be in your personal name and in the drivers name.

2. If taking a trailer the trailer has to be in the drivers personal name.

3. If taking a quad or utv they also have to be in the driver of the towing vehicles personal name.

4. You cannot mix and match different owners on the trailer, quads or UTV's. Everything has to be in the drivers name.

5. I have been told no flatbed trucks and no dual tire trucks (no confirmation on this yet)

6. I have been told no commercial vehicles. (i highly recommend personal name vehicles)

7. You must have the title or the registration that is valid and up to date.

8. I have been told by some that if the vehicle is over 7716 (which is any 3/4 or larger vehicle) is will not be eligible to pass into Mexico. Conversely, I have been told that it is ok to be over 7716 but you just have to pay more. (if someone gets concrete info on this please keep us informed)

9. I always make copies of my passport, drivers license, title, registration etc. Multiple copies.

10. I have seen it done where the truck is in a company name or LLC. I have seen it work where on company letterhead it states that Joe Blow has the authority and permission to take the xxxx vehicle with license plate XXX into mexico for these dates. (I'm not sure if that is going to work anymore)

11. I dont think it would hurt to have a letter that is notarized that says that the vehicle is for personal use only and is not a commercial vehicle. (I think they are trying to crack down on commercial vehicles entering into Mexico)

As I get more info I will try to share it on here. Remember No Capes with ticks can cross into the US. Pick them clean so that we make all hunters look good.

F... the government of Mexico!

No racism intended, I'm 1/4 Yaqui/Mexican.

Don't care to ever see that place again. Fairly certain Mexico will never get it's house together in my lifetime.

'Merica, yeah!

• Like 7

The issue with oversize vehicles in mexico is the width of the roads (duallies), and the weight capacity and construction standards of the roads (weight). Ownership is to prevent importing stolen vehicles. Trailer regs are due to expats renting uhauls and abandoning them after they get there. I respect them for addressing the issues, and kinda wish we had the huevos to do the same.

• Like 1

The issue with oversize vehicles in mexico is the width of the roads (duallies), and the weight capacity and construction standards of the roads (weight). Ownership is to prevent importing stolen vehicles. Trailer regs are due to expats renting uhauls and abandoning them after they get there. I respect them for addressing the issues, and kinda wish we had the huevos to do the same.

And thats just it. We dont have the ballz to enforce chit. If we tried what theyre doing it would be racial profiling. God forbid u pulled over the one white dude with a dually and an atv and then questioned him on his legality. There would be riots and protests. Maybe we could actually learn something from this. Like edge said, f... em

Last time I checked my old F350 with single wheel rear axle was taxed at a commercial rate right here in AZ, you got your wish.

The regs are all for show. I personally know of Mexicans whom own adjoining land on both sides of the border. I've been offered the use of the 'ranches' to move horses south without all the messy paperwork.

The problems in Mexico are so much more troubling than their substandard roads and thriving stolen vehicle market. The more laws on their libros, the more payola opportunities for Mexican authorities.

Don't want your vehicle searched, $20. Don't want a roadside safety inspection? $20.

A US Marine accidentally gets in a lane leading into Tia Juana and can't turn around and is held and tortured for 7 months. Yeah, go spend your money there. But yet their border officials allow a free flow of gangsters, drugs and illegals to flow north into our country like a cancer.

The Mexican Government doesn't trust their own citizens to protect themselves from the cartels or corrupt Federalies, gun rights are non existent.

Thanks, I've been to Mexico a hundred times, been robbed at machine gun point by the army. Great times.

Build the wall!

• Like 2

What is the difference? kali = stupids and criminals, Mex = stupids and criminals.

The difference is California is part of the US and Mexico is not. Now, if we could just get California to secede from the US and get annexed by Mexico.

some of what you have posted above does not apply if you remain with 200 miles of the border. <200 miles does not require a vehicle permit. I go to MX frequently with a 3/4 ton truck and do not have any problems but I remain within the 200 mile "no hassle zone".

• Like 2

some of what you have posted above does not apply if you remain with 200 miles of the border. <200 miles does not require a vehicle permit. I go to MX frequently with a 3/4 ton truck and do not have any problems but I remain within the 200 mile "no hassle zone".

Do you need one to go to puerto lobos

no. San Carlos/Guaymas and North is < 200 miles from the border. As the crow flies, Lobos is approximately 75 miles from the border

• Like 1