desertbird

.243 load for first time hunter and shooter

taking first time hunter and rifle shooter out for general javelina this spring, and am considering which load I should put her behind.

have, 55 gr Sierra's, 65 gr Sierra's and 95 gr Nosler Partions loaded up all shooting 1 MOA, the 55's are even better at about .5 MOA.

I am thinking for a first time hunter the 55 sierra might do more damage for an ill placed shot, and is my flattest shooter so no hold over would be necessary at < 250yrds.

Where as the 95 nosler would punch in an out allowing for less damage, and I might have to work on some hold over training.

The 65's would be same expansion properties as the 55's just not as flat, but might put more lead into the equation.

which load would you pull out of the ammo box for practice all the way to game day?

after looking at the Sierra website I am not too sure I have 65gr Sierra's, might be 70gr, but they are pink tip.

I loaded them so long ago now I don't remember, might have to pull one and have a look see.

agree about getting within 100 yards, I only archery hunt them cause rifle hunting them is not much of a challenge to me.

but this is her first hunting experience so she will be learning every aspect that goes into it and if she can connect at 200 yards we'll gladly take that opportunity.

I dont reload 243 much anymore but used to use this one for coues deer and javelina. 35.5 gr IMR3031, sierra 85gr bthp. One shot kills on several of each.

I have killed a few with the 243 and probably 15 between archery, handgun, 22-250 and 7-08 and I would used a softpoint in the lungs. I have used 80-100 gr in the 243.

My primary hunting gun is a .243 in ruger m77 vamit heavy barrel(yes old one) for everything from varmits to deer. I use nosler ballistic tips for everything 95 grains. its a tack driver killed lopes at 800+ deer at 500+ one elk at 300 and hundreds of yotes from 20 feet to 900 yards i use a 12x leupold on the gun. Fake edit oh yeah a few rams in texas as well.

I reload all mine matter of fact reloading this week as I ran out and down to 30 rounds.

I havent shot any of the newer bullets in any of my firearms. I worked up loads back in the 90s and and been very pleased with the results. I usually load a few thousand rounds at a time and because I dont shoot at much as I used to they last years. last time I loaded 220 swift and 243 was in early 2000's . I only use ballistic tips for everything 220-swift 243 308 300 winmag and everything in between.

I do have a 223 wssm that I loaded with some silver tips as I got them with the gun, just havent shot it yet and had it for 5 years. might take it out in the next few weeks for yotes

I agree that the Nosler 95gr ballistic tip can do the job...Javelina, Antelope, Deer (Coues WT) and even some MD...

you can also do (if they still sell it) Hornady 105A-max with IMR-4895=34.5gr ...when I reloaded and used it for everything

But now I have my son (and just for him.. 12years) a Remington 700..24" (and use for everything) from the box 100gr Remington core-lock or 95gr federal fusion only for javelina

I had a bad experience on a slightly forward shot on a mule deer with a 100gr ballistic tip. It broke up and never penetrated. I prefer something heavier and with more weight retention now for that species. But for pigs, Pretty sure the 70gr sierra is what well go with.

I had a bad experience on a slightly forward shot on a mule deer with a 100gr ballistic tip. It broke up and never penetrated. I prefer something heavier and with more weight retention now for that species. But for pigs, Pretty sure the 70gr sierra is what well go with.

I can safely say I havent with the .243 with my 25-06 I had a problem with gamekings as the bullet was going way to fast and went right through. Granted it was a 40 yard with shot max load.

we usually work our loads up on yotes and see what kinda destruction each type of bullet does at what speeds results can be interesting.