Sign in to follow this  
Beaton

Any reports from the late bull hunts. 5b, 7w, 8?

7W was tough but fun. Saw a couple dozen mature bulls and missed two shots on 6x6s. First time hunting there but saw a lot of elk. Could have taken some young bulls but didn't. Those two days with super heavy wind didn't make things easy.

24 mature bulls? Wow. That is something for 7W. Man you had quite a hunt.

forepaw

15 different bulls opening day. Then only 9 bulls over the next six days. If I could shoot worth a darn and not get bull fever I could have even tagged one!

Between work acquaintances and friends and friend of friend I know guys who killed bulls in 7w 7e 5b 8 6a 19a 10 23. And a few late archery bulls, Not to mention the cows that fell in the last 2 days.

• Like 1

Was unable to hunt 7W till Sunday afternoon Dec 5. High winds and super full moon kept sighting cows and bulls to a minimum. Saw 7 bulls and 14 cows in 4 1/2 days of hunting. That included lots of glassing.

Had never hunted this unit before. Two friends that live nearby took me out a few times then I was on my own as they worked. Got a 6 x 6 on last day.

• Like 2

Unit 8 was a struggle for me, again. Just cant figure how a unit with so many elk can seem so devoid of them at times.

We hunted 5b on the East side. We did lots of scouting and saw quiet a few bulls the week before. 4th of July morning was intense as it sounded like a firing squad let loose on the running bulls in the open. First two days we saw alot of muley, coues, and a couple cows. Monday-Wednesday we saw tons and tons of elk but not a single bull. My brother and I both trying to get our first elk never tagged out but we had a heck of a good time. Nothing like sitting with 30 cows all around you hoping a bull pops out.

Mother in law killed a good bull in 5B on the 2nd day. Seen 4 bulls opening morning and 5 bulls on Saturday the afternoon we killed. He's a good 6x around 300, it was her first bull. I also had an aunt kill in 5b as well.