mr.smith

Felicia's Buck

IMG_1335.JPG

Ok, so we got a much later start than we had hoped for on Thursday and ended up getting to the camping area just before dark. We met up with Christian there and set up camp in the dark. Discussed our plans for the morning and turned in pretty early. Man it was cold that night.

Friday morning found us on a hill top the Christian had spotted a couple bucks from a couple weeks ago, and sure enough there they were. We watched a big forky that we nicknamed Forkasaurus, hoping he would bed down. After a while he walked down into the canyon and we lost sight of him. We moved to the next hill closer and could not relocate him. We did however spot another forky on the same hill that would be pretty easy to get to, so we made our move. We got to where we thought we needed to be but could not locate the deer. It’s like they left while we were moving. We soon found out why, when we saw three bow hunters walking a drive across the mountain right through the thicket the deer had been bedded in. I guess they moved in while we were moving. These guys were pretty oblivious to everything. We respotted the does about 100yds away from these boneheads and they never saw them. They never saw us until we got up and started packing to leave the area. These guys were such lousy hunters, one of them even stopped right next to the thicket the deer like to bed in and took a poop. No I didn’t watch.

Next we moved to another spot a ways away. The wind had picked up pretty bad and we weren’t seeing anything. We were sitting there chatting when Christian say he hears something. Then he says; there are deer right here. Sure enough a doe and a fawn walk right by us at ten yards. The doe didn’t notice us but the fawn stopped and looked. It was the cutest thing. It took a couple steps towards us and stamped its hoof, then scurried off to catch up with momma. The wind died down a little and we were glassing kinda lazy when I spotted three does walking over a hill not too distant. That got us motivated to look a little harder and Christian spotted some deer way off that we decided to move a little closer to see better. This put us on the hill that we would sit for the next two days. That evening we spotted Felicia’s buck, which came to be known as Mr. Wide, and a smaller fork we named Number Two. We stalked into about 240yds but ran out of light. Having put them to bed we decided to start there in the morning. JLG and Dave were waiting for us in camp when we arrived.

Saturday morning we were set up. JLG and Dave we on the hill we had glassed the deer from the evening prior. Felicia, myself and Christian we in the same spot where we had stalked up to the deer. They weren’t there. A short while later JLG called on the radio and said that he had found a nice 2X3. 2 inches by 3 inches. He called it Spike-asaurus. Felicia decided long before the hunt that she would take any opportunity that presented itself so off we went after the spike. We (JLG Felicia and I) started our stalk towards a spot that would put us within 150yds. About halfway there we busted a group of does and they were headed towards the buck so we decided to set up right where we were at 300yds. Felicia got down into the prone and had some trouble getting a good sight picture as we hadn’t really practiced from the prone. The buck moved off over the ridge right as she was ready. Oh well. Christian had already spotted another buck so we went to look. The closest we would be able to get to that one was 550yds and that wasn’t a shot either of us were willing to take. We started back towards Christian and Dave when Christian said he had relocated Mr. Wide and #2. We hurried back and when we got there found that they had worked their way in close to a house and were not in a place that we could shoot them. We were really hoping find them together so that we could double as Mr.Wide was worthy of my tag. Dave, Felicia and I then went back to camp to make lunch while JLG and Christian stayed behind to watch the bucks in hopes that they would move away from the house. On the way back to camp we decided to try a stalk on the 550 buck from the same side of the canyon. About 300yds out Christian calls and tells us that there are two archers between us and the buck and they were moving in on the thicket the deer were in. Two stalks in two days ruined by archers.

When we got back the bucks had moved away so we decided to try a stalk. I don’t know if the heard us or what but they buggered off. We stayed where we had stalked to and glassed from there. Christian spotted a little unicorn buck that Felicia named the sputton buck (spike/button). We went after him but were unable to relocate him in the mesquites. That evening we decided to head into town for a hot meal and to relax in a warm restaurant. (Lupes Mexican food in Catalina)

Sunday morning we unintentionally slept in. I guess a belly full of good food will do that to you, plus it was not as cold that morning so we were all cozy. I woke up around 6:05 got dressed and woke everybody else up. We didn’t get into position til after 7:00. We glassed up that same 550 buck and two others about a mile away. Around 8:0 Christian said he spotted a lone deer that he thought was a buck. He put the spotter on it and said he had found Mr. Wide. We analyzed the situation and decided that if we got to the top of the hill we had spotted him on opening day we should be within 250yds. We decided to drop down into the creek and stalk up the saddle below the peak we were to ascend. About halfway up the hill JLG calls on the radio and says there are archers moving in on Mr.Wide. That wasn’t a very nice joke John. Most of the way to the top we stopped and downloaded most of our gear. We got to the peak and relocated the deer still bedded under a small oak. We ranged him at 365yds. A lot further than we thought and a lot further than Felicia had practiced. This would be a sitting shot though and she had practiced that. We braced her gun with the bipod in front and Christians pack behind. Her rifle was sighted to be dead on at 200yds so I told her to hold right on the spine. Christian suggested a little higher so I told her to aim for his ear as he was looking our direction and the ear was right over the vitals. Since we both have tags I decided to back her up on the shot. When we were set, she told me she was ready and I watched her flip the safety off. I found the deer in my scope and waited for her shot. Right over his back but he didn’t move. I shot with and also went right over his back. The buck got up and walked to the left actually coming a little closer. I picked it up again and felt good about my shot. Squeeze and nothing. I forgot to jack the next round. While I was cursing myself and jacking a round Felicia shot and the next thing I hear is Dave on the radio and across the canyon yelling WOO HOO. Christian said the buck was down and Felicia couldn’t believe she had got him. Christian said it was a perfect hit and that the buck reared up and did a back flip. Felicia rechecked through her scope and saw him sliding down the hill a bit and kicking his legs. After high fives and congrats all around Dave started over with the pack frame and Felicia, Christian and I started towards the buck. As we neared the buck I signaled for Christian to hang back so Felicia could go up and have her moment with the deer. I told her to make sure he was dead before getting too close (thinking of John’s friend who got kicked by and elk last month), she said yep he sure is dead, and then said wow, what a buck.

We then took a whole mess of pictures. Dave decided that since Felicia had made such a great shot (and because he is genuinely a nice guy) that he would field dress her deer for her. I helped a bit but it was mostly the Dave King show and boy can Dave clean a deer quick. All we left on the hill was the rib cage. We split the deer up between us and Felicia carried the head out. Back at the parking area we met the rancher who owns the house the deer were hanging out near on day two. He congratulated Felicia and said that he wouldn’t have minded if we had shot the deer close to his house so long as we didn’t hit the house. Wish we had known that Saturday. I suppose we could have went and talked to him. Back at camp we all packed up and rolled out about the same time.

I want to extend a huge ThankYou to Christian, Dave and John. You guys are my heroes. Felicia is so happy with how this hunt turned out. She made me upload and email some photos to her work email so that she can send then to all her friends. Thank you guys! I honestly could not have done it without your support

Thank you for letting me be a part of the hunt Josh! I just wished we could have gotten you one also but there is still plenty of time. Tell Felicia congrats again on a great looking buck and on a great shot!

Thanks guys he is a beatiful little buck and it was a beautiful shot. I'm very proud of my wife.

That picture turned out great. My camera makes a little coyote howl when the timer goes off thats why everybody is genuinely smiling.

awsome! Way to go to all of you! ;)

Not that it matters to Felicia but Christian put the tape to the little guy and he went 65 and a couple eighths. I'd say thats not too bad for a first buck and a coues to boot.

Awesome and great job to you guys.....I love the fact it looks like you are all enjoying the moment!!! JIM>

What a great buck, congrats to your wife Josh. I'm glad you all got it done, good luck finishing your hunt.

Thatnks again guys.

Houston, if you want to come down and play you are more than welcome. I'll take all the help I can get.