Sign in to follow this  
jakehaffey

Youth LH Rifle

I am left eye dominant, I shot a lot of right handed rifles growing up and had zero problems doing so but when it came time for buying my own, they have all been lefty's. Lots of choices out there these days for Lefty's but not too much in the used "affordable" market. Let her use her dominant eye and don't worry too much about what side the bolt is on.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's help and input! I'm really excited about getting her into the passion! I will see about looking into the Ruger American 6.5 but if I remember right they didn't offer a LH youth/compact option.

I have to shoot left handed. My right eye has 20/200 vision. They discovered it in kindergarten during the eye and hearing tests. There is no hope or correction for it. My dad taught me how to shoot left handed and bought me my first left action bolt rifle when I was about 10. It's a Browning A Bolt .270. I bought left hand rifles ever since. Look into Browning, last time I looked they had compact left hand models. I envy you right hand guys, there's so much out there for you.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt/current-production/x-bolt-micro-midas-left-hand.html

This might be a good one.

• Like 1

I'm partially right handed partially left handed and left eye dominant. I shoot rifles left handed. I carry and draw a pistol right-handed but aim with my left eye. If her brain is telling her to shoot a rifle left handed there is a reason. Don't fight it. I carried right-handed bolt rifles for many years before left handed models became more common. If there's a rifle you like that's not available in a youth model look into purchasing a shorter stock or having the stock shortened.

• Like 1

Thanks all, I really like that Browning X-Bolt Micro Midas 7mm08 but finding a left handed one anywhere is the challenge!

Have u tried gunbroker?
  • Like 2

Thanks all, I really like that Browning X-Bolt Micro Midas 7mm08 but finding a left handed one anywhere is the challenge!

Have u tried gunbroker?

Good suggestion. I needed a donor rifle for a LH 700 action a few years back. Couldn't find one around town. It was easily available on gunbroker.

jakehaffey, I note you are in Chandler. I f you purchase through gunbroker you will need a local FFL to accept the shipment. Try Healy Arms at McClintock and Basline. He is a CWT member and I am sure he would give you a good deal. He may also be able to order what you want from a wholesaler.

• Like 1

Marc at Healy has ordered me a few left hand rifles. It's worth it to give him a shot.

• Like 1

My wife has the left hand X Bolt micro hunter in 7mm-08. I have the full length left hand X Bolt hunter in 25-06. Bolt are nice handling rifles that shoot .6 to .7 MOA with the loads they like. We highly recommend them.

Tikka compacts are another option. They have an insert to extend the LOP later. 6 pound hunting rifles that usually shoot extremely well.

A good recoil pad goes a long way on whatever you end up with.

• Like 1

I have checked with Healy and will likely order through them. Great shop! Hard to come by the Browning but I the Remington is available.

The Tikka was intriguing but again I couldn't find any available LH youth options.

Pulled the trigger at Healy's on the Remington 700 7mm08. Should be able to pick it up within a week and start setting it up. Thanks again for all the input and help!