Sign in to follow this  
Pine Donkey

College Basketball in Arizona: Reality over Rhetoric

I have long judged the character of a person, in part, by their ability to bring themselves and others up rather than resorting to the tearing down of others in a failed attempt to create the appearance of elevating themselves. Persons of weak or poor integrity are found throughout our world, and often wallow in the weak minded tactics of using rhetoric to label others. This is seen on a national level in politics, entertainment, business. It can be found in every local level from the playground bully to the blowhard, backstabbing kiss butt in the work place. Others do not need to identify them because they identify themselves. These low intellect individuals thrive in cyber space where they can hid behind a keyboard. They throw out rhetoric so often they seem to believe themselves as they feed off their own offal. Terms like U of Pay, Wannabes, Scum Devils, or Druggy U just signal that the thoughts of the intellectually small are soon to follow.

Here are some facts about college basketball in Arizona.

UA just won their 16th PAC 12(10) Basketball Championship in the past 32 years and 3rd in the past 4 years. No other school comes even close during that time period.

UA is the strongest team this year in a pretty weak Pac 12.

ASU has had their most successful season in program history when measured by AP ranking and season attendance.

UA will be in the NCAA Tournament, ASU will likely be in the tournament also.

In the only document, naming schools to be publicized (leaked) from the FBI investigation since their initial announcement, 23 schools, and/or their players were named. Neither UA or ASU were mentioned in the document.

Sean Miller and Deandre Ayton were named in an ESPN story, based on an anonymous source, that reported listening to FBI tapes. ESPN has issued 3 corrections to that story since, and has now said they stand by the original story. By the way did you see ESPN College game day today? The Duke students chant drowned out the ESPN commentators. The chant was check your facts, check your facts.

They FBI leaked document became public the day after it was discovered they, the FBI, failed to follow up on the tips about the Florida school shooter. This was just days after Special Council Robert Muller announced that the FBI did receive a FISA warrant based on bogus information they helped to gather. While we are discussing lack of FBI credibility, lets not forget the reports that indicate the NCAA investigation was initiated after Michelle Obamas brother Craig Robinson was fired as Oregon States Head Basketball coach following his 5th losing season in 6 years.

ASU has their strongest recruiting class coming in next year. As of now UA has no significant recruiters committed.

Sean Miller has coached 37 players through their senior year. This May he will have 37 graduates. Other coaches may also be good at graduating their players, but none are better.

Next week, both our teams will be playing in the Pac12 Championship. On Wednesday at 12 noon I will be wearing a gold shirt with maroon trident as I stand in T-Mobil arena cheering on my Devils. The next day, at 12 noon I will be wearing a cardinal and navy shirt as I cheer on my Cats. Hopefully the Cats will be playing the Devils. During that game I will be promoting both teams, without ever allowing my integrity to drop by tearing one down in the naive thought that it will somehow promote the other!

Bear Down Arizona, Forkem Devils, may the 2 meet in the National Championship!

• Like 3

He has committed to UCLA, but not yet signed.

Brandon Williams recommitted from UA but still has UA at the top of his list as he looks st his options.

I am an ASU graduate and fan, and I like your post! Really tired of the junior high rhetoric on the " How bout those Devils" thread. Thank you for some adult comments.

• Like 2

Good post.couldve done without the soap box opening though.whats really the bigger problem in our world, friendly (but sometimes emotional) banter on a website? Or narcissism,ethnocentrism and over sensitivity? Sundevil has an emotional connection to his school, and we have the same for ours. It's not a big deal!take the emotion out of a rivalry and there's no rivalry.that's what makes school rivalry so much fun

• Like 2

Did anybody see the dude from Texas A&M poke the other dude from Alabama in the ear today........what is going on????

Good post PineDonkey!!! I love rivalry but sometimes it does get pretty.......obnoxious!!!

How can you not root for either AZ team when the tournament starts!!!! Go get'em!!!

UCLA beating USC was bot a good thing for ASU. Some predictions have UCLA in and ASU out. Need at least one win in Vegas for the Devils, 2 would seal a bid.

Interestingly, if ASU is eliminated, Devils will need UA to win the tournament to help ASU get in. If Devils loose and any team besides UA, USC or UCLA wins the tournament, the Devils are out.

O'Neal will stay with UCLA --- the Ball family is no longer connected to the school, plus it's close to home. Really sucks how ESPN's
"reporting" has turned talented kids away from a good (not perfect) program ...