Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

Good Lord....What Is Wrong With ME???

I measured spacing of rings on a couple of my SAs, and placed these rings so they should swap right onto my Lone Peak SA....hopefully.

Mounted the March up on my .280AI to try out today at the range. Got it boresighted, and should be close.

The zero stop is super cool on these. There is a coin slot on top of the turret. Once you get it sighted in, you simply turn the dial until it stops. I have it back out just a bit, to allow about .5MIL down right now. That is it. Zero stop set. I will get some more photos in a few minutes once the range opens up.

20180428_164147_zpsyyalmvpk.jpg

20180428_164550_zpsbjdu44ph.jpg

• Like 3

So, first day at the range behind the March.

20180429_110016_zpsg25pbghd.jpg

Quick rundown.

Diopter-Easy to get a crisp reticle and sharp target.

Parallax-touchy, but not difficult. Tried it from 25 to 450ish. No issue. Very little movement between 100 & infinity, but still useable. 100 mark was spot on for my eyes.

Turrets-Pretty crisp. Not as crisp as others, but not mushy. For the little dialing I did to zero, they moved spot on. I will try and do a tracking test soon.

Eye relief is great.

Eye box is good. Not picky, even at 24x.

Zero stop. As I said, really cool and super easy. It is set at the factory totally off. Sight in your rifle, dial whatever you need. Up, down, what ever. Once you are sighted in, take a dime, rotate the zero stop until it stops. Done. Loosen the turret set screws, set to 0, and tighten them back up. Super easy. I backed mine off just a touch so I can go .4MIL below 0.

20180429_110008_zpsppznn3h6.jpg

Glass.....here is what most people want to hear about.

Great color and contrast. Maybe better color and contrast than my Kahles K624i.

Chromatic aberration. I didn't notice any. But I only checked from 25 ton200 on high contrast targets.

Clarity. The big question. On a scale of 1-10. 1 being a $50 Tasco, S&B PMII being 9-9.5, and 10 being a $4k+ Premier/Hensoldt/Tangent Theta. Once you get to 8, things get real close.

I would say a solid 8. Better than any Vortex Razor Gen 2 or Razor AMG I have looked through or shot behind. Better than most NF NXS, Not quite with most Swaro SFPs or my Kahles K624i Gen 3, on par w. NF ATACR F1s. Mirage was kicking up pretty good later too.

Weight. At 24.5oz, it is one of the lightest FFFP scopes out.

Pictures below are in no way representative of glass quality. Photos of neighbors 200 yard target.

Reticle.

Visible on 3x. The heavy outer stadia draw your eyes in too. Subtensions are not really useable. But who needs holds on 3x?

20180429_111102_zpscl6xv6wo.jpg

10x. Through the scope, subtensions become visible about 5-6x, usable by 7-8 easily.

20180429_111046_zpsgqtdd87p.jpg

15x. A great setting for long range hunting out to 1300+ on medium sized game like coyotes, deer, antelope, etc. Good FOV, still plenty of magnification.

20180429_111010_zpsc0waa2xx.jpg

24x. Long range, small target. I was shooting small rocks at the back berm. Center dot is .1MIL (.36"). Plenty heavy for hunting and visibility, but not too big to cover up a very small aim point. Scope does get a bit darker from about 21-24x, but I will check it at dusk later.

20180429_111031_zpseeoi8olw.jpg

I regret mounting this scope on my .280AI already. It might just have found a home there. If I can swing it, I can see a new Tangent Theta TT315M going on the 6CM this fall....

• Like 3

Looking good. Next time, come over and shoot with us at 1000...

If Inwould have known, I would have brought a couple other rifles and joined you.

Don't mind the cluttered reloading desk....

Lone Peak SA TI action weighs 22oz.

20180501_190152_zpstjtj0ukw.jpg

Swapped the knob for a CF knob

20180501_184923_zps6efkrmph.jpg

Shaved 2oz off.

20180501_190045_zpscygwwwtk.jpg

Dropped the action in the stock, and set the barrel in too. Nothing fitted yet.

20180501_185114_zpsdffr3fn7.jpg

20180501_185319_zpsxulrn5ui.jpg

20180501_185344_zps1qfcbbia.jpg

20180501_185351_zpssbrysebr.jpg

• Like 2

That looks like my reloading table all the time sadly

Yeah we are getting bored of 777 need new information to read :)

I have not heard of it, I see it is quite heavy. Why choose it over another March? Just asking as I may be looking to go from a HD5 3-15 to something closer to 20 or 24X but don't want to go much over 21oz even thought the HD is only about 4 years old.

21oz and reliable tracking with robust housing is dang near impossible.

Robust hosing (sic) is new to me. Added guts for a 3rd knob adds weight as does more glass but "tracking" is inherent to scopes that don't cost big dollar$. I had a T16 in the early 90's that was about $250 and had 1/8th adjustments.

It was on a 700 I used for HP Silhouette and ran the turret up and down no less than 10X's every match twice a month for two years and it never had a problem returning to zero or to track.

• Like 1

If you haven't looked through a Tangent Theta, I can't explain it. Think Premier, or Hensoldt, or S&B....but clearer. Yes

...that clear. Color/contrast/depth of field/lack of CA are best available.

Tracking is perfection.

Turrets...amazing.

27oz is not too bad for an absolutely top end FFP illuminated reticle scope.

Compact.

Low profile turrets.

Zero stop.

Second rotation indicator.

Windage direction indicator.

Illuminated reticle.

MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA available.

12MIL will get me past 1250 yards with a 105-115 bullet @ 3000fps. Plenty for hunting.

• Like 2

Sneak peak.  Not complete, but I went down to grab a scope from Eric.....and saw my baby sitting there during the bedding.

20180918_115249_zps6wpgl3af.jpg

• Love 1
  • Wow! 1

Why not try a plain old 243AI. It will get you those velocities and is really the same as 6CM? Really easy to get the 243 brass and fire form. Been shooting one for years super accurate try it you'll like it.

Dan