Huntermichael

Air Gun coming to archery seasons in AZ

I am saddened the ABA has taken this position. It reflects poorly on the organization.

I had a dear friend and brother in law that had ALS, waited 10 years for a bull tag, the year he drew it he couldn't move too well. He got a crossbow, but it was very difficult to get him into position because of the size and angle.

I believe an airgun would have help him achieve something he really wanted to do before he passed.

Shame on the ABA.

Andy

I'm pretty sure I just saw a post on Facebook this morning from ABA opposing the airbow during archery season

post-2359-0-14550500-1521821826_thumb.png

I can't believe guys are worried about this. I doubt this will improve harvest by more than a few animals each year. Look back in 10 years and regret this, no I'll look back in 10 years and regret not saving our public lands. This is a dumb thing to worry about

200 yards? No. What is the difference in one of these and a crossbow that shoots 450fps? I agree crossbow permits should be harder to get, but for law abinding citizens that are actually disabled, these are not an issue. Go after g&f not being so loosey goosey with crossbow permits, not the people that need them.

Champ permits and crossbow permits used to be more difficult to get and also I don't remember them being for temporarily disabled people as now you can get x-bow permit temporarily.. Pretty sure crossbow permit used to be only for permanently disabled people and i think it used to he 90% or greater loss of use of 1 arm.

I have both the champ permit and a crossbow permit I don't think the airbow should be legal during archery season. Save it for the ham hunt and rifle hunt. I mean I'm sitting here knowing that it would be legal for me to use it during an archery hunt and I'm trying to figure out where disabled or not why would it be fair for me to hunt during an archery hunt and shoot an animal to to 300 yards away while somebody else has to stick to you know under 60 yards for the most part. I am at a disadvantage when it comes to the hiking part but allowing me to use scoped crossbow shooting 400 feet per second is probably good enough. If you are me with an airbow it's allowing me to rifle hunt during archery I just I just don't know that seems a little strange. All crossbows can have cocking devices put on them where you just cranked them to cock the bow. If somebody can't use a cocking device they probably can't hold airbow either without help. I'm one of the bonuses of a crossbow is been able to cock the crossbow and basically sit in your stand all day long with a cocked you're not drawing a bow on your shoulder or neck or back or whatever the problem is heck somebody else could cock the bow for you or you could use a cocking device. I'm not sure how this ever made it up for vote

Now which ones are capable of making a 300 yd shot?

Temporary crossbow tags? You have to be kidding me.

Don't get me wrong there's been a few surgeries before I had my permit where I wished they had temporary crossbow permits but at that time they did not. But again why is it we have point guard? We have point guard so that if somebody does get drawn for that early bull archery tag and rips the rotator cuff they can keep their bonus points and donate the tag. It's konda like medical marijuana everybody can get it even though it was meant for cancer patients.

Again as far as the airbow goes me having champ and crossbow permits I don't see why I should be able to use an airbow/rifle during archery hunt.

If anything more champ HUNTS are needed. 👍

• Like 1

200 yards? No. What is the difference in one of these and a crossbow that shoots 450fps? I agree crossbow permits should be harder to get, but for law abinding citizens that are actually disabled, these are not an issue. Go after g&f not being so loosey goosey with crossbow permits, not the people that need them.

Champ permits and crossbow permits used to be more difficult to get and also I don't remember them being for temporarily disabled people as now you can get x-bow permit temporarily.. Pretty sure crossbow permit used to be only for permanently disabled people and i think it used to he 90% or greater loss of use of 1 arm.

I have both the champ permit and a crossbow permit I don't think the airbow should be legal during archery season. Save it for the ham hunt and rifle hunt. I mean I'm sitting here knowing that it would be legal for me to use it during an archery hunt and I'm trying to figure out where disabled or not why would it be fair for me to hunt during an archery hunt and shoot an animal to to 300 yards away while somebody else has to stick to you know under 60 yards for the most part. I am at a disadvantage when it comes to the hiking part but allowing me to use scoped crossbow shooting 400 feet per second is probably good enough. If you are me with an airbow it's allowing me to rifle hunt during archery I just I just don't know that seems a little strange. All crossbows can have cocking devices put on them where you just cranked them to cock the bow. If somebody can't use a cocking device they probably can't hold airbow either without help. I'm one of the bonuses of a crossbow is been able to cock the crossbow and basically sit in your stand all day long with a cocked you're not drawing a bow on your shoulder or neck or back or whatever the problem is heck somebody else could cock the bow for you or you could use a cocking device. I'm not sure how this ever made it up for vote

Well if they're only accurate to 100 yards I would change my opinion 100% I would say make them legal for disabled Hunters. But then I would ask what happens when they make them better and they are good to two and three hundred yards. Most of the propaganda being pushed around about anti airbow is saying that they have a 200 to 300 yard range. If 100 yards sign me up!

Well if they're only accurate to 100 yards I would change my opinion 100% I would say make them legal for disabled Hunters. But then I would ask what happens when they make them better and they are good to two and three hundred yards. Most of the propaganda being pushed around about anti airbow is saying that they have a 200 to 300 yard range. If 100 yards sign me up!

I highly doubt you're gonna get a 26 inch 375 grain arrow flying 450fps to be either accurate or deadly anywhere in the ballpark of 300 yds.

• Like 2

I highly doubt you're gonna get a 26 inch 375 grain arrow flying 450fps to be either accurate or deadly anywhere in the ballpark of 300 yds.

There's no place for math, physics, or simple logic in an internet debate. You stop it. Stop it right now! :angry:

• Like 4

I have no idea who made up the number of 2-300 yards. It's literally just a made up number. 100 yards maybe 110-120 is the max you're gonna get out of one of these. A regular crossbow shoots the bolts the same speed at 450 fps. Just because it uses air instead of energy from a limb it suddenly can launch the arrows 200 extra yards?

Redman you sound like the typical wannabe I referenced in my post ! Who cares if you kill a 70 inch coues or a 145 mule deer ? Guess it might validate wannabes to have an entry in the holy bible of wannabes know as P&Y ??

• Like 1

300 yards now! Wow! My dad has a crossbow permit (artificial shoulders, artificial knees, many hip/back surgeries) i have shot them quite a bit. They require much less skill than a regular bow. That being said, they are not 200+ yard killing machines. I can shoot my bow more accurately than my dad can his crossbow. I would venture to say that legitimate disabled hunters using crossbows, or even an airbow, will still be much less efficient and deadly than a skilled archer. I bet less than 1% of animals harvested with archery tackle in AZ are done so with crossbows. Like everyone else is saying, we have bigger fish to fry gentlemen.

• Like 2

Redman you sound like the typical wannabe I referenced in my post ! Who cares if you kill a 70 inch coues or a 145 mule deer ? Guess it might validate wannabes to have an entry in the holy bible of wannabes know as P&Y ??

Watch the video of a guy hitting steel at 202 yards. With a slight crosswind correction, lands a perfect shot on the second attempt.

hoghntr: Thanks for all your honest input on the topic. I've enjoyed hearing your perspective as a crossbow permit holder. Please enlighten us, can you crossbow do this?

Watch the video of a guy hitting steel at 202 yards. With a slight crosswind correction, lands a perfect shot on the second attempt.

hoghntr: Thanks for all your honest input on the topic. I've enjoyed hearing your perspective as a crossbow permit holder. Please enlighten us, can you crossbow do this?

The first let me say I do detect a hint of sarcasm... Second I'll say I never stand there looking at an animal and say I wonder if I can hit it... I've killed a deer at 84 yards with my crossbow and I've seen people on coues whitetail.com talk about killing bull elk with their compound bows at a hundred yards. Could I hit steal at 200 on 2nd shot? Probably