Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Don Martin

Your feeling on the proposed trail camera restriction (ban)

Fellow Sportsmen:

As you may be aware tomorrow, on Friday, May 4 here in Kingman, the AZ G&F Commission will meet to finalize the proposed changes in Article 3 that will affect the take of game in Arizona.

One of the changes is the use of trail cameras. The proposal is that live streaming cameras cannot be used at all, and that trail cameras that do not send live images can be no closer to 1/4 mile (440 yards) from a water source such as G&F wildlife waters, or stock tanks.

I know there are many opinions on this specific proposal. Department and Commission feels they violate Fair Chase. What do you think?

I'm wondering how many of you have sent in your comments to the Department and Commission and if you did, were your comments in support or against this proposal?

Plus, if you sent in comments, for or against, do you own tail cameras?

Another question is about the use of rifle scopes such as the Burris Eliminator which uses a laser to tell you the distance of the target, then actually moves the sight internally to that distance.

Deportment and Commission says that DOESN'T violate Fair Chase, but a trail camera on a water does!

Then there is the question about the use of highly sophisticated electronic fishing equipment, so that evenb allows anglers to see fish take a bait. Do you think that violates Fair Chase?

Thank you for your input!

Don Martin

post-11017-0-37767500-1525373577_thumb.jpg

Money corrupts everything. It is not hunting and fishing anymore it is taking.

• Like 2

I am against their proposal on trailcams.

Sent comments in telling them I was against their proposal as I run cameras.

Unenforceable law. Any non hunter can place a cam on a water source then sell the pics or give them to somebody.

• Like 1

Trail Cameras - BAN THEM

Sniper rifles - BAN THEM

Fish Finders - BAN THEM

Quads - BAN THEM

SxS - BAN THEM

Modern Muzzleloaders - BAN THEM

Now we're back to fair chase hunting.

• Like 1

This is totally un enforceable, I do agree there should not be any live cameras during hunting seasons.

I do feel that game animals get way too much pressure,

It is possible that removing cameras and even removing shed hunting it would improve game populations. Other states have done such things with some success.

How do you post comments? Im down to just one camera now but I definitely support keeping the current setup and see no reason to change it. Archery hunters benefit the most I dont see the harm in cameras posted near water. Would this apply to natural creeks and seeps or only AZGFD water catchments?

Trail Cameras - BAN THEM

Sniper rifles - BAN THEM

Fish Finders - BAN THEM

Quads - BAN THEM

SxS - BAN THEM

Why stop there? Why not centerfire rifles, expandable broadheads, replaceable blade broad heads, carbon arrows, scopes, binoculars, 4WD trucks/jeeps, compound bows, travel trailers, propane heaters, GPS, Cell phones, synthetic clothing, pop up blinds, tree stands,

• Like 4

I agree on the ban of live action trail cameras. There are people that really take advantage of what could be a cool scouting tool. Flooding an area and waiting for the target animal to show up on a camera, then going in there to shoot it.

Here's food for thought...they banned campfires last

friday, someone started the tinder fire with a campfire. They banned camping except at approved places- nobody seems to pay attention. They closed lots of roads on national forests, nobody pays attention. How are they going to enforce this?

• Like 2

Trail Cameras - BAN THEM

Sniper rifles - BAN THEM

Fish Finders - BAN THEM

Quads - BAN THEM

SxS - BAN THEM

You forgot the biggest one, paid guides.

Not to bash on guide companies, I have led a few people to guides here in az and of course they have their place but I'm guessing the avrg hunter who has cameras is like myself and uses them very sparingly and has maybe 2 or 4 cameras. I know there are many guides who have over 50 cameras in one unit and I'm sure there are more, if you do the math it doesn't take long for it to be a mess out there.

Even with those numbers I really haven't seen any problems out there where I would say cameras need to be banned.

I'm guessing people are tired of theft and conflict around water holes.

Myself I think it's the constant human pressure that's more of an issue

Trail Cameras - BAN THEM

Sniper rifles - BAN THEM

Fish Finders - BAN THEM

Quads - BAN THEM

SxS - BAN THEM

Why stop there? Why not centerfire rifles, expandable broadheads, replaceable blade broad heads, carbon arrows, scopes, binoculars, 4WD trucks/jeeps, compound bows, travel trailers, propane heaters, GPS, Cell phones, synthetic clothing, pop up blinds, tree stands,

I'm not suggesting we go back to Neolithic times. A step back to the technology of the 60s, 70s, 80s seems a reasonable compromise to restore some balance and ensure fair chase. One of the real problems is no one wants to compromise...if it's not illegal then push the limits to the level of stupid.

One of my pet peeves is sniping an animal from long distances and calling that hunting. There is no fair chase involved in sniping and therefore it can't be (shouldn't be) considered hunting.

Centerfire rifles, expandable broadheads, replaceable blade broad heads, carbon arrows, scopes....ALL designed to deliver clean kills so no problem there.

4WD trucks and jeeps...you're pushing on the wrong guy. I would be very happy to see NF access restricted to your two feet and nothing more.

​Love my compound but would be perfectly happy to use one of my longbows with cedar shafts if that was the rule.

Travel trailers, propane heaters, GPS, Cell phones, synthetic clothing...these items don't kill animals soooooo

• Like 1

Trail Cameras - BAN THEM

Sniper rifles - BAN THEM

Fish Finders - BAN THEM

Quads - BAN THEM

SxS - BAN THEM

ban people that think like this.

• Like 2

Trail Cameras - BAN THEM

Sniper rifles - BAN THEM

Fish Finders - BAN THEM

Quads - BAN THEM

SxS - BAN THEM

I'm not suggesting we go back to Neolithic times. A step back to the technology of the 60s, 70s, 80s seems a reasonable compromise to restore some balance and ensure fair chase. One of the real problems is no one wants to compromise...if it's not illegal then push the limits to the level of stupid.

One of my pet peeves is sniping an animal from long distances and calling that hunting. There is no fair chase involved in sniping and therefore it can't be (shouldn't be) considered hunting.

Centerfire rifles, expandable broadheads, replaceable blade broad heads, carbon arrows, scopes....ALL designed to deliver clean kills so no problem there.

4WD trucks and jeeps...you're pushing on the wrong guy. I would be very happy to see NF access restricted to your two feet and nothing more.

​Love my compound but would be perfectly happy to use one of my longbows with cedar shafts if that was the rule.

Travel trailers, propane heaters, GPS, Cell phones, synthetic clothing...these items don't kill animals soooooo

My biggest pet peave is other people telling me what is and what is not “real” hunting.

• Like 2