Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

I really need help!!!

Thanks everyone for the input. I’m going try to pick up a hay bale this week to try some blank bale shots. Hopefully doing this can help me get over this. It’s crazy how hard this TP hit me. It has me thinking about it all day long...

• Like 1

Get an old release, saw the trigger off and practice with it. You will either learn some patience or the stress will kill you.

On the serious side something I do is come home from work and take 2 shots. No more, then walk away. Knowing I am not going to get a large number of chances to make a good shot makes me focus much more on making the 2 I am going to take count.

• Like 2

Its could also be your equipment. If you have a bow that has a speed cam and it feels jumpy this might induce the rushed shot.

Good point here. Have you recently put a loop on your string that you did not use before or done anything that might else that might slightly reduce how far you are drawing the bow? If you are holding a draw right on the edge of the point where the cam starts a rapid increase in draw weight it could cause your problem

• Like 1

Its could also be your equipment. If you have a bow that has a speed cam and it feels jumpy this might induce the rushed shot.

Good point here. Have you recently put a loop on your string that you did not use before or done anything that might else that might slightly reduce how far you are drawing the bow? If you are holding a draw right on the edge of the point where the cam starts a rapid increase in draw weight it could cause your problem

This whole bow is new but I would say it much more smoother than my last. My last bow was way jumpy (destroyer 350). Could it be the position of my peep? I had it put in once I got this bow but maybe its too low on my string? It feels like I have to lower my face a lot more in order to get the sight into my peep. Which Im having trouble even getting to that point without shooting an arrow...

If you are anchored at full draw and have to move to your peep....its in the wrong spot or your anchor point has moved.

I will give you a run down of things I did over the years to rid myself of target panic. They all work and using them all together works well. Aside from getting the new release, the steps I include, I would work on one for a solid week before doing the next. Super boring, but worth every second in the end. 1) Buy a new release, if back tension or resistance activated scares you, just get a new thumb button or wrist strap (preferably one with a spring kit), and put the absolute heaviest spring into it, so that way you can place your thumb or finger on the trigger and really dig in and know it wont fire. 2) start at 20 yards and pull back, and aim, until your shot starts to break down (shake uncontrollably) then let down. Relax and do it again. This will train your brain to know that its okay for the pin to touch the target and bounce around and not have to shoot. 3) Blank bale, you can even take your sight off and relax on just pulling through the shot. 4) Focus on aiming and let your subconscious fire the release. Its impossible to focus on both at the same time, so just aim and keep squeezing and adding pressure, it will fire. If it doesn't, let down, regroup, and do it again. Start at close ranges and just shoot one arrow. Make a perfect shot, retrieve the arrow, and do it again. This makes you take your time and if you happen to mess up, which you will and its perfectly fine, you can know what a bad shot is and forget about it and not fling a bunch of bad shots in a row. If you do any of these and you feel yourself punch or get jumpy, just stop for the day. Dont keep trying to fight it off. It will take some time. Fatigue only makes it worse.

id get a gun.

• Like 1

I went from being a very competitive target archer to not being able to accurately shoot more than 40 yards because of TP. Havent put in the time to fix the problem and have tried several releases that are supposed to fix the issue. I now sit blinds where my shots will be inside 30 yards because of it. It is incredibly frustrating. That being said, i have a carter evolution and ringer release id give you a good deal on if youd like to try one. They seem to help a lot of people.

Get 5 yds from the target. Draw and anchor. Close your eyes and let your shot surprise you. It helped me a lot.

• Like 1

PelaPapas i went thru this for a period and what helped mem was just walking away from the bow for a while. I had just put myself in a longer draw length which still wasnt even long enough but that extra inch had really gave serious panic.. Think arm fatigue was part of the issue. Maybe drop down in poundage till problemn solved. By chance did you increase draw length also?

Well I know one thing, I'm gonna start taking videos if I find blindfolded people out in the desert, shooting rabbits at 5' while singing and having someone else pull the trigger.

• Like 1

You can also try drawing let say at 20yds. Keep your finger off your trigger and let your pin float on the target and let down. Doing this multiple times may help. Good luck!