Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

Sitka blacktail

I shot a small bull first. My dad wanted to shoot this bull but he was across a big river. He ended up killing a decent bull and then a few days later this same bull came out on our side and I killed him. Caribou is some of the best meat Ive ever eaten.

My BIL who was a novice hunter raised cats and his Vet had a practice in Gilbert who was also a novice but had a brother living in Anchorage. His brother bugged him for years to come up and he finally decided to go, take his son and invited my BIL who invited two friends. Just before it was time to put in for the draw one of the guys wife had a problem with him going so I was asked if I wanted to go.

That took about a NY second for me to say yes. My wife never said no ever to any of my hunting trips. Well about 5 months later we were in Unalakleet where the Vets brother knew a well known guide who let us stay in his cabin about 5 or more miles up the river and use his boats to fish. He just asked we refil them with gas when we were done. We spent a few days catching Silvers from the main river and a couple of tributaries for Grayling and Dolly Varden.

After that we went back to town to fly north for Caribou but the wind kept the pilot grounded and we headed out late the next day. Jim Tweeto flew everybody up a small plane while I stayed back in town. A few hours later he came back and the two of us flew up in the old cargo plane with quads and all the gear. We landed with just enough light to see on an old abandon military gravel runway. We spend the next couple of days hunting and we all tagged out. It was a hunt of a lifetime and my total costs from the time I left Mesa until I returned was $1,600.

I watched one guy shoot a nice bear and then helped skin it out. I had just dressed and quartered a caribou for one of the other hunters and hung it in an old shed on the base and walked over to the runway to talk to the young hunter when we looked over to see a Musk Ox walk passed us at 20 yards without a care in the world.

• Like 1

Thats awesome! Funny you mentioned the musk ox, along the pipeline there were lots of those guys. You could walk within about 10yds of them and they didnt care at all

Thats awesome! Funny you mentioned the musk ox, along the pipeline there were lots of those guys. You could walk within about 10yds of them and they didnt care at all

I thought they would be bigger. Jim Tweeto is still flying out of there and is on the TV reality show Flying Wild Alaska.

• Like 1

Muskox are cool too... Ed F

You even look the part! Man you have had some adventures!

Where is a good place for rifle sitka that would be farther away from big asss bears?

Going end of October into the 2nd week of November with a buddy in common Ed F knows. Archery only hunt. DIY on Kodiak Island. Cant wait. Only two hunters per month and archery only allowed at this part of the island. Can't wait. I will definitely post how the trip went when it's all over.

• Like 4

Going end of October into the 2nd week of November with a buddy in common Ed F knows. Archery only hunt. DIY on Kodiak Island. Cant wait. Only two hunters per month and archery only allowed at this part of the island. Can't wait. I will definitely post how the trip went when it's all over.

Sounds awesome! Please keep us posted!

When I lived up in Alaska I made several deer hunts on Kodiak and Afognak, always productive and great hunts. We generally went during November as the weather was cooler and meat spoilage wasn't an issue. Thru the 80s 90s the Alaska Marine Highway had a regular run out to Kodiak departing from Seward or Homer and you could put a pickup on the ferry for the same price as flying down then charter one of the flying services out to hunting destination. During that period there was a variety of planes available for charter, Grumman Goose, Widgeon, Beavers, 206, Aeronca, Super Cub. There are a lot of fox down there with all color phases i.e.. red, silver and cross, also bears depending where you hunt. We would generally plan an eight day hunt to be able to catch ferry back to mainland. Weather can ground flights so it is prudent to always plan to bring extra staples like noodles or rice to augment venison if you get stuck a few days. A bad winter can take a heavy toll on the deer population so it would be prudent to research the previous deer winter kill. Probably my favorite hunt when I lived in Alaska.

• Like 1

I love Alaska... hope Nobull350 doesn't come on here and talk sh!t about my small deer... Ed F

Those boys need to do genetic testing i think somebody has a "cousin secret" or some such thing.. Lets hope he recognizes these magnificant beasts as true trophys and not bambi. :) and they were legally harvested which is a PLUS

Don't mean to hijack thread,but great photos BOWUNTR.

• Like 1

I'll be going next year first week of November. I can't afford to go home empty handed if possible so I'll have a buddy along with a gun in case I can't get it done with my bow.

• Like 2