Sign in to follow this  
elkhutnaz

Northrim hunt June 8th?

elkanddeerhunter1, you're gonna have to add Bison to the handle now! Very nice bull, congratulations! Enjoy the meat, I miss having a freezer of bison meat....kinda spoils you for life.

• Like 1

Here's the story:

After 25 years of applying and 30 bonus points later, I finally drew a House Rock Herd bull bison tag for the June 8-17, 2018 hunt. I scouted a total of six days. The first three days was during the first hunt so I spent my time helping put out salt blocks, clearing fallen trees out of roads, clearing debris out of water catchments, putting up blinds, and checking trail cams on salts where no one was hunting. I learned a ton of valuable information from Russ Jacoby. The last three scouting days was between hunts so I used that time to check salt and water locations I learned from Russ, Game and Fish, and a couple of previous hunters. This helped me determine where I wanted to be on opening day.

Opening day I sat a water tank with salt blocks. I saw a lot of deer, a few bucks that will be pretty nice after they’re done growing out, a few gobblers, and a lot of other animals. I sat a total of 15 hours but was constantly entertained by the wildlife that visited the tank and salt.

The second day started off like the first, lots of deer, a gobbler, and other wildlife visiting my location. At 11:30a, I noticed a lot of dust just beyond the berm/dam of the tank I was sitting. It was kind of windy so I didn’t pay too much attention to it. I was in the process of digging lunch out of my pack when I realized the dust was still kicking up and I was now looking at the brown hump of a bison. There were a total of four bulls that were playing in the dirt wallow just beyond the berm/dam. The largest of the four decided to start heading to salt. He was very cautious and hung up approximately 30 yards from the salt. He wouldn’t commit to coming in and turned to go back to his buddies. He was now broadside at 90 yards when I decided to take a shot. He fell behind the berm/dam and I wasn’t sure if he was completely down for good. So, I got out of my blind and snuck over to the berm/dam. When I peered over my bull was down for good and the other three bulls were still playing in the dirt wallow.

I decided before the hunt started that I was going to participate in the hunter co-op that is set up by Russ Jacoby and his team. I had a co-op radio with me so I called another hunter that I knew was ½ mile away sitting on another salt. I told him that I had shot a bull and that three other bulls were still at my location. Approximately 30 minutes later he made it over and was able to put another bull down.

By the end of the hunt nine of the 12 hunters had tagged bison. Even though I wanted to do the hunt myself, I had a lot of help along the way. I would like to thank Russ, Jacob, Laura, Jared, Jake, Curt, my wife Lori, my brother Tim, and son Hunter.

post-1907-0-34601900-1529896234_thumb.jpg

post-1907-0-70014800-1529896255_thumb.jpg

post-1907-0-61168900-1529896275_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

elkanddeerhunter1, you're gonna have to add Bison to the handle now! Very nice bull, congratulations! Enjoy the meat, I miss having a freezer of bison meat....kinda spoils you for life.

Thanks! If your nephew is Jared he's a fine young man! I appreciated his help getting my bison back to camp. The meat is excellent by the way.

• Like 1

Wow!!! Dream bull!! I am so jealous!!! I had the same hunt last year and sat in a blind the entire time and never took the safety off!! Congrats on an incredible bull!!

• Like 1

Elkanddeerhunter, yes, Jared is my nephew.

I'm kinda jealous of his job, although when you have two big bulls down at once, not so much! Good work for young fellers!

Congrats again! Thanks for sharing the story!

Congrats on your bison! Not that's what I'm talking about. Way to work together to get two on the ground. I highly commend you sir!

Congratulations, that's a very nice bull. You mentioned that the rest of the bison didn't react when you shot yours, which is surprising. You don't have a weapon in any of your photos, so I was wondering if you shot it with a bow or a gun?

90 yards? On a bison? I should hope it was a rifle!