SirRoyal

The Trail Cam Celebration

Not to be contrarian, but why is it the depts responsibility to educate the public? Why can we point at them and say You made this problem?

This is OUR problem, and we ALL must contribute to the solution or else we ALL have a lot to lose.

This isnt just AZGFDs problem, it is shared by everyone who participates in hunting and fishing and it is the problem of every person who enjoys seeing wildlife and having healthy diverse populations whether they realize it or not.

We cant point the finger at anyone else, this is on us to solve because we are the ones that stand to lose if it changes.

I agree with what you are saying, but there are different dynamics at play. We conducted, or at least attempted, a massive public outreach campaign on our own. It is not as easy as you may think to motivate people to participate. Not because we are all collectively lazy, but because of the every day functions that most of us view as more important, such as family, school, work, church, etc. We still have the tools and resources, as well as the desire, to continue our outreach. However, to do it on the scale required is almost impossible, and the message of conservation should come directly from those doing the conserving, which is the Game and Fish Department. They need the ability to speak for themselves, without limitations.

Exactly how do they plan on educating the public on hunting?

mass media outreach. I hope to see some other plans implemented, but we are putting the cart before the horse.

What exactly do you mean by mass media outreach? Some articles in the newspaper saying hunting is good? Some social media posts?

Just trying to understand how exactly this is going to not only get out to the people you intend it to, but also actually properly educate them? I converse with non hunters all the time on the importance of hunting. Most I talk to aren't against it though they don't partake in it themselves.

Nefarious, are you a hunter? If not, what do you have to gain by pushing this agenda? Why would this issue matter to you?

mass media outreach. I hope to see some other plans implemented, but we are putting the cart before the horse.

What exactly do you mean by mass media outreach? Some articles in the newspaper saying hunting is good? Some social media posts?

Just trying to understand how exactly this is going to not only get out to the people you intend it to, but also actually properly educate them? I converse with non hunters all the time on the importance of hunting. Most I talk to aren't against it though they don't partake in it themselves.

The Department already has much of the current plan in place under the Conserve and Protect mission statement. It includes television, radio, and billboards, although I personally wouldn't mind the billboards being axed in favor of a dedicated outreach representative. The Department has rolled out a small campaign already and conducted pre and post polling to gauge its impact. It was successful with the funds they had, but they do not have continual funding to saturate the necessary markets. We don't have many options at our disposal for combating initiatives by animal rights groups, this plan is one that has been proven successful in other states.

Nefarious, are you a hunter? If not, what do you have to gain by pushing this agenda? Why would this issue matter to you?

of course I'm a hunter, and this issue matters to me because of the work I put in during the mountain lion ban, and from that work I learned a lot about HSUS and what they've done to us in the past and what they are capable of doing in the future. It matters to me because I don't want to lose hunting.

This is a Game and Fish program, nobody gets any tags but Game and Fish. I wouldn't be on board with an outside group getting tags and selling them for their own profit. There is no Don Peay or any organization getting money,it will all be Game and Fish by law.

The plan for education is to follow a model similar to what Colorado and Michigan have done. TV, radio and print ads illustrating the cash flow from sportsmen to the wildlife and highlighting the science based management that AZGFD employs to conserve our herds.

I agree that it is undoubtedly needed. At some point HSUS is going to flood us with a campaign to take away something vulnerable and we will be fighting a losing battle.

The plan for education is to follow a model similar to what Colorado and Michigan have done. TV, radio and print ads illustrating the cash flow from sportsmen to the wildlife and highlighting the science based management that AZGFD employs to conserve our herds.

I agree that it is undoubtedly needed. At some point HSUS is going to flood us with a campaign to take away something vulnerable and we will be fighting a losing battle.

there are some good television ads from Michigan floating around the internet that showcase what they are doing, I will see if I can post some. However, I think we can do better. I also think, as I mentioned above, money directed to billboards would be better spent on a dedicated education official, one that goes into schools and businesses to talk about hunter involvement in conservation. Nothing beats a handshake from a Game and Fish official, and HSUS is sending people into schools to preach their b.s. The Arizona Director herself, Kellye Pinkleton, the lady that filed the mountain lion ban initiative, has been doing it.

G&F is already taking that approach and in my opinion doing a very good job at it. Nefarious the money that would be raised with tags, will not and can not go to fight a political agenda like HSUS. So please leave that argument out of the conversation, now in your opinion will money raised by tags, if any, go to CPAZ when G&F distributes the money raised for education?

This isn't to fight a political battle, it's to prevent fighting political battles. Game and Fish can't comment on initiatives once they've been filed, but a funding source outside of Pittman Robertson funds absolutely clears a path for this kind of educational outreach.

The funds will not be distributed outside of Game and Fish, the media program already exists within the Department. This is to provide a dedicated stream of funding to that program. Conserve and Protect Arizona will not make a dime.

This isn't to fight a political battle, it's to prevent fighting political battles. Game and Fish can't comment on initiatives once they've been filed, but a funding source outside of Pittman Robertson funds absolutely clears a path for this kind of educational outreach.

The funds will not be distributed outside of Game and Fish, the media program already exists within the Department. This is to provide a dedicated stream of funding to that program. Conserve and Protect Arizona will not make a dime.

So who will spend the money raised if its not G&F or CAP? I would love two sources of income to pay my bills also, but I manage with just one.

I don't think I'm following your question. Game and Fish will spend all money through their own media program.

This proposal is nothing more than a way to generate funds for Game and Fish outside of Pittman Robertson funds. That way they can speak outside of the scope of legislation that inhibits them from doing so.

If I'm not fully grasping what you are trying to ask, send me a message through Facebook messenger and I'll p.m. you my phone number. I might be able to better explain over the phone.

I don't think I'm following your question. Game and Fish will spend all money through their own media program.

This proposal is nothing more than a way to generate funds for Game and Fish outside of Pittman Robertson funds. That way they can speak outside of the scope of legislation that inhibits them from doing so.

If I'm not fully grasping what you are trying to ask, send me a message through Facebook messenger and I'll p.m. you my phone number. I might be able to better explain over the phone.

Thanks for the offer, one of your counterparts explained the process to me in detail. I now have a very good grasp of how this system will play out.